Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM

285 posts, read 836,153 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I've been having a look through the forums here, but couldnt really see anything that would answer my queries. Apologies if I am asking something that has been answered elsewhere!

I am living in the London at the moment, with my fiance. It is likely that I will be relocating to the RTP area in early 2008...

I have never been to RTP, so dont know much about the area. I am planning a visit around October, but want to do as much research as possible in advance.

Mainly, I am wondering which areas people could recommend to me to live in? We are a young couple (mid-20's) with no kids, so schools are not a major requirement.

Alongside this, I cannot seem to find many websites that offer rentals. I am more than likely going to look to rent a place, but can anyone recommend any websites/companies with decent rental offerings?

Also, as part of this, we will be looking to either rent a "furnished" place, or be able to rent furniture - does anyone know of a place that can offer this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
My complex (Northridge crossings) does deals with rental companies or you can rent the flat unfurnished and do your own furniture rental with Aaron's, Cort, or one of the the other numerous rental agencies.

A major management company runs the place I rent. You can see their offerings on druckerandfalk.com.

A good place to determine what's nice in rentals is apartmentratings.com. Sort the ratings column to get the highest first.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM

134 posts, read 410,452 times
Well, from London to the RTP is a huge cultural shock...... Get ready for much better weather, but limited cultural activities. Shopping is going to take a dive, too. But the prices will be much, much better.

Probably best to go for Chapel Hill. Nice college town, lots of young people. Probably a decent rental market thanks to the college kids.

Avoid most of the developments in and around Raleigh. Families, kinda boring for young people. Too far to drive to get anywhere.

--JC

Old 08-17-2007, 08:32 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Welcome, BGrant! I have family living in London (Wimbledon & Richmond) & I used to live in Brighton. You'll be happy to know that housing is MUCH less expensive here than where you are now. The exchange rate is certainly on your side right now, too!

Where you will live in the Triangle will largely be determined by where you work. My husband and I chose to live in south-western Durham because it's close to his job, but also because it's close to lots of other things we enjoy in Durham & Chapel Hill. There are plenty of young couples here. You'll also find young couples near downtown Durham and Raleigh & I know some people in their lates 20s & early 30s who enjoy living in Carrboro, too. Where you will be happy is definitely dependent upon personal preferences & situation.

There are some furnished places for rent here, but you will pay dearly for them. You may find it to be less expensive to rent an empty apartment & rent the furniture seperately.

We stayed in a furnished condo briefly when we moved here. We found it through the Temporary Living Company, a company we found through the website for Research Triangle Park.
Research Triangle Park :: City Guides (broken link)
(Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find letting agencies).
Again, it was not cheap! But if you're anything like my husband, you may prefer staying in a furnished flat for a couple of weeks while looking for a more permanent place to rent.

You may find places to rent through apartmentratings.com, as people have suggested. If you'd rather rent a house, there are some to be found on CraigsList.
craigslist: raleigh / durham / CH classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

We purchased furniture rather than renting, so I'm afraid I can't offer any assistance there. Hopefully someone else here can speak with experience on that subject.

Best of luck!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone for getting back to me - Corts certainly look pretty good...

I have a bit more info now, the area is likely to be "North Raleigh", or "North West Raleigh". Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on specific areas around here?

Sorry for being a bit vague - just getting used to the geography at the moment!

Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM

The flats I live in are in North Raleigh right by Triangle Town Center.

Northridge Crossings is the name of the community and you can see it on druckerandfalk.com. Very big flats for the money and great maintenance.

Give it a look if the location works for your family.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 AM

31 posts, read 76,809 times
Aside from Triangle Town Center Area in North Raleigh, you'll find mainly townhomes and single family homes AND a lack of entertainment (aside from shopping and eating)

NW Raleigh: Brier Creek area has a few rental communities lots of shopping and restaurants, movie theater, mini golf. Again not much in the way of nightlife/entertainment aside from a sports bar. BUT US70/Glenwood ave in NW area DOES have a lot of rental options (not sure about furnished units) and gives you easy access to Downtown Raleigh or a slightly further commute to Downtown Durham which do offer more culture/entertainment options.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Brier Creek rentals are priced quite high and tend to be small for the money.

If that's not an issue, good place to look.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks guys - i'll keep on with the research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary