Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 17,436 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need to move in a hurry, and Meadowmont was recommended (I'll be working at UNC). Seems a wee bit pricey for a rental (I see houses listed for rent a few miles away for the same price as a Meadowmont 1-bedroom). Is it worth the cost for convenience, amenities?

I'm entirely new to the area, so I know nothing. I have faith that you all can help me fix that.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM

76 posts, read 394,073 times
Do drive or take the bus? The meadowmont busline is pretty private since they don't allow public parking around them save the harris teeter. But their bus stop is no better (read faster) than other areas of Chapel Hill.
Do you want to live near lots of ppl? Many ppl come through Meadowmont just for the stores, offices, and schools there. And then add the ppl that live there. Do you prefer a more quiet area? Then go w/ the house.

Which style do you want to live in a small apt or larger house? Obviously, houses are bigger and require a lot more cleaning.
Also, I find all the apartments are cheaply made and houses infinitely better.
Meadowmont is pricey but you get a busy walkable area.
This decision should be based on your preferences.
Quiet v. Loud, Small vs. Large, Busy vs. Busier....

Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,066,046 times
Ditto what pgtrnr said. If you want a walkable lifestyle, Meadowmont is a great place to be. But if you'd like more space and you have your own transportation, venture east a mile or so to Durham.

When my husband and I first moved here, we stayed for one month in a condo at Southern Village - a development in Chapel Hill similar to Meadowmont. It was nice to just walk over to the grocery store and to restaurants ... especially since we were so new to the area & didn't know where anything was yet. However, we found it to be too expensive per square foot and chose to rent a house elsewhere. For us it was worth it, but I can understand why others chose to sacrifice space for convenience.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,042,958 times
I would agree with what everyone else said, if you want that type of convenience, then it is a good place to be. Once you get a feel for the town, you may find a place you would like to live more than meadowmont, or you may find it great!

The difficulty with apartments in and around chapel hill is you might run into students, which I don't think you will at meadowmont!

Leigh

Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM

351 posts, read 1,195,318 times
We live in the apartments right now and have found it to be very convenient. The maintenance team is prompt and do good work. The apartments are well designed and feel larger due to high ceilings. Having a pool and gym facilities onsite is also great. Less $ for gym memberships is a nice perk. Also, around meadowmont is a large network of bike/running trails which we've really enjoyed. Our neighbors are generally quite nice. So far, we've been pleased.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,358 times
Meadowmont is a high end Stepfordian community. All the amenities of living in town, without having to live in town, for twice the price. Several miles out from UNC, and from anything else.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. For the price of a 1 bedroom in Meadowmont, you could rent a cute cottage in downtown Carrboro, walk to everything and have a long walk to UNC or take the bus.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM

353 posts, read 1,367,875 times
Hi folks,
At what price range can you find appx. 2,500 sq. foot home with high end upgrades (granite counters/stainless appl./nice fixtures etc) in Meadowmont? I tried to look up listing and can't seem to find much in any price range?
Thanks,
L

Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,358 times
The two "low end" homes I saw on the MLS were 2000 sqft for around 500K. After that it was 650K on up.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,184,969 times
Trouble with renting houses is that you usually have to place a large deposit with the owner.

Many owners can be either too broke or too crooked to give it back.

"Buy a house - Rent an apartment".

Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 56,307 times
Default Meadowmont Homeowner/Realtor

Hi,
Meadowmont is expensive because it is so desirable. I have worked/lived there since it's inception. I purchased my cottage home there when there were only dirt roads. I have enjoyed great appreciation. I have currently purchased another property in a similar neighborhood built by the same developer - Davis Park RTP. It has condos and townhouses. Will have a village center with stores, restaurants etc. The plan is that I enjoy as much appreciation as I did in Meadowmont.
I have rented my home in Meadowmont. It is true across the country. People will pay 20% more to live in a "neo-traditional neighborhood" than they will a suburban neighborhood. The houses are new and there is a sense of community. There are public and private places. Small lots can be very private.
If the question was - is it worth it to buy in Meadowmont, I would say YES!!! A lot of people live in other neighborhoods and use Meadowmont as their neighborhood. They get in the car with their dogs to walk, bicycles, come to the wellness center and hang out at the fountain. Also, this side of Chapel Hill has easy access to I-40.
There are a few houses in Meadowmont that have not rented, so they may have to reduce their prices. That is true with the resales. Some houses have sold for top dollar and others linger on the market. I think it is probably because there is a glut of $900,000+ in the Chapel Hill School District and in the Triangle.
I would pay that for rent only if there was a good reason - the schools, I could afford it, my employer is paying for my rent, I had mobility problems, I want to live without a car, I don't speak English well, I was waiting to buy, I want my children and spouse to make friends quickly, I traveled a lot etc. But, I believe in investing in real estate. I would rent something close to Meadowmont and make Meadowmont my neighborhood. (I can say that now that my house is rented.)
Hope that answers your question,
Nikki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary