Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 27,957 times

Advertisements

I am looking to begin a career in Sales. Because I don't have alot of formal experience (beyond beng an independent sales rep occasionally in network marketing based businesses) I'm seeking an entry-level potion. It seems like local Radio Broadcasting Stations are always looking for entry-level sales reps so I thought this might be a good industry to look into to start. I went on Glassdoor.com the review the position of Radio Advertising Account Executive with a Radio Broadcasting company here in the triangle and experienced mostly horror stories of people making no money and favoritism being practiced by management in the way of handing out accounts.

I was just looking for some objective info from those who may have experience in the industry as Radio Advertising Account Executives here in the triangle. For example: Is the pay typically 100% commission? Do you need many "personal contacts" to make sales? How much cold calling did you do - How were you treated when you did? Is the training quality and realistic enough to help you be successful? Were you provided with leads?

Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM

286 posts, read 653,075 times
What company?

If it is not Capitol, then honestly just go sell cars. It is a horrible time to get into radio sales. Working for Capitol should be good enough to make it worth it, though.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,934 times
I worked in radio sales for my first 3 months in NC. In NJ I was a Radio DJ but couldn't get an on air job when I came down. Anyway - I think it was possibly the WORST 3 months of my life. It was all cold calling - almost no new salespeople get any leads - they want you to hustle and prove you can do it yourself. Usually you're on a salary for the first month or so during training and then you're on a "draw" so you could end up owing the company money! And radio advertising is REALLY expensive..so it's really hard to convince "mom & pop" hardware to give you $2000/month for 6 months (because they will tell you that's how long it takes to really make an impression on a listener)....
If I were you - I'd sell just about anything else!!! Retail would be preferable! PM me if you want the name of the company I worked for!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,315 times
I always seen tons of entry-level Account Executive positions posted for a variety of companies not just radio. I don't think you need to limit yourself to radio. Check your PMs.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 27,957 times
Thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM

307 posts, read 672,785 times
The radio industry is in dire straits. Most radio stations are computers interfaced with satellite receivers. You're likely to see one or more companies go bankrupt before long. You really might not want to work for one of them.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,529,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaj View Post
I am looking to begin a career in Sales. Because I don't have alot of formal experience (beyond beng an independent sales rep occasionally in network marketing based businesses) I'm seeking an entry-level potion. It seems like local Radio Broadcasting Stations are always looking for entry-level sales reps so I thought this might be a good industry to look into to start. I went on Glassdoor.com the review the position of Radio Advertising Account Executive with a Radio Broadcasting company here in the triangle and experienced mostly horror stories of people making no money and favoritism being practiced by management in the way of handing out accounts.

I was just looking for some objective info from those who may have experience in the industry as Radio Advertising Account Executives here in the triangle. For example: Is the pay typically 100% commission? Do you need many "personal contacts" to make sales? How much cold calling did you do - How were you treated when you did? Is the training quality and realistic enough to help you be successful? Were you provided with leads?

Thanks for the feedback

Go pharma vs. radio. At least it has a future!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 AM

120 posts, read 253,893 times
Pharma has little to no future as far as sales people. Most of the companies have laid their sales force off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary