Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

There are some great options (townhomes and single family homes) in Renannaisance Park (close to downtown Raleigh but not quite as expensive).

My suggestion is to see a few homes that are in your price point, in some of the areas close to where you'll be working. For example...maybe look in Cary and Apex and Holly Springs.

Once you see the areas and the homes, you'll delete some of the areas that just don't appeal to you. Once you do that, you'll get a FEEL for the area you really like. Finding a home, once you have narrowed down the area, is easy. We have lots of homes available.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 6,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
So Im going to stray from the norm here....

...dont move to Cary. This is coming from someone who LOVES Cary, absolutely loves it. However if Im single, and just starting my career....I would live downtown, no question. NCSU area, Glenwood, Five Points, etc.
THIS! This was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. If Raleigh is the happening place then Raleigh it is...

I noticed all 3 of those areas are in the I-40/440 circle. Is any particular area that should be avoided (crime, zoning, etc)? Any particular area that you would highly recommend?

Quote:
Also, negotiate with your employer and instead of taking a 5% bump on the purchase of the house, take a bit less as a signing bonus or simple "relocation package" that is used at your discretion. They may not be able to write it off the same way but your reasoning is sound and clearly the company is employee-focused, they should bend.
Although I would love to rent, the company policy is clearly defined and there is no equivalent rental incentive. Renting is simply not an option due to the opportunity cost...

Quote:
Again, trust me, I LOVE Cary, but you will find yourself surrounded by family and convenience, when at your age, live it up dude, you should be surrounded by booze and bi...errr, ladies
Cheers to that.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
The plus about living in Cary though is that you're 10 minutes from Raleigh, 10-15 from Durham and like 15-20 from Chapel Hill.

I'm in my 30's, married and have a 2 year old son, so I'm not exactly enjoying the night life anymore, but when we do go out, the options are decent because we're right in the middle of everything.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
And since I just got back from a paddle on nearby Jordan Lake (~20 minutes from SW Cary), I'll put in a plug for an outdoor activity that isn't on your list - kayaking. There a ton of nearby lakes and rivers to explore - I highly recommend it!

Good luck with your move - sounds like an excellent opportunity for you!

edit: This is one of the largest parks in the area: N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to William B. Umstead State Park - great for biking, running, hiking, etc.
Awesome. I will definitely look into this. Thank you!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
how is your employer offering an incentive to you to buy a home?

My suggestio would be to interview several and find a Realtor, get pre-qualified for a loan, and let the Realtor listen to your needs and help you find the right place to live. From downtown Raleigh to Regency Park (where it sounds like you'll work) is probably a 20-25 minute commute, maybe slightly less. Would that distance work for you?
Many of my relocating clients have companies that STILL pay all their moving expenses plus offer incentives for them to purchase their new home.

I think they do this because it gives the new employee incentive to stay in the area.

IBM used to be well known for paying most of their relocating clients fees, including fees incurred in selling their home, moving expensives plus fees involved in buying their new home. I don't think IBM does this anymore.

The costs involved in bringing in a new employee could exceed $30,000 but I know companies that are still doing this!

Vicki

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I'd be really careful if you decide to buy a condo - monthly fees can be quite high, and resale might not be easy. As someone who bought a condo in my early 20's, I wouldn't do it again.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 PM

I'm not a huge fan of condos and like adlnc07 said, they are difficult to re sell.

Vicki

Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'd be really careful if you decide to buy a condo - monthly fees can be quite high, and resale might not be easy. As someone who bought a condo in my early 20's, I wouldn't do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm not a huge fan of condos and like adlnc07 said, they are difficult to re sell.
I'm actually not concerned about the fees. I actually prefer that the regular maintenance is subsidized into the association fees because between my master's degree and general laziness, taking care of the house is low on my priority list. I think this makes the decision between house or condo a wash (for me).

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng85 View Post
I'm actually not concerned about the fees. I actually prefer that the regular maintenance is subsidized into the association fees because between my master's degree and general laziness, taking care of the house is low on my priority list. I think this makes the decision between house or condo a wash (for me).
Well, just bear in mind you are still responsible for the upkeep of everything inside the condo - HVAC, water heater, appliances, etc. Also, the condo fee will affect the amount of the mortgage you can quality for, as it counts the same as a car payment or other liability. You'll likely have to adjust your price range downwards if you have a $250-$300/month condo fee to pay.

Anyhow, it was the difficulty in selling my condo that soured me to the experience much more than the monthly fee did.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Well, just bear in mind you are still responsible for the upkeep of everything inside the condo - HVAC, water heater, appliances, etc. Also, the condo fee will affect the amount of the mortgage you can quality for, as it counts the same as a car payment or other liability. You'll likely have to adjust your price range downwards if you have a $250-$300/month condo fee to pay.

Anyhow, it was the difficulty in selling my condo that soured me to the experience much more than the monthly fee did.
Good points.

A townhome may be a great alternative.
A good townhome community probably offers nearly as much maintenance and amenities, often at a lower association fee.
Most newer ones usually cover exterior buildings and grounds maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary