Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 AM

86 posts, read 141,881 times

Advertisements

It is time to say "NO" to further construction in Wake, Johnston, Franklin, Chatham, and Durham counties.

There are too many people living in these areas! Our infrastructure can not support many more. Our taxes are extreme, our schools are understaffed and poorly funded.

Our child started attending a public school in Johnston county three weeks ago. We have already been approached with three fundraisers since she started. They need $16+ for field trip, money for an electronic sign, etc.

Water supply has deplenished dramatically due to increased population, not lack of rainfall.

Our house prices have climbed dramatically in the few years I have been alive. I could have purchased the same house ten years ago for a "whole" lot less.

We have too many outsiders moving into our home land. I believe in being diversified, but come on. They are ruining our state, just like they ruined theirs.

I say we put a stop to new construction. Our local economy may take a huge hit the next couple of years, but we need to stop it now.

Jobs are very difficult to find. People are working for peanuts. Restaraunts, grocery stores, clothing apparel, is outrageous.

HELP NC, stop the growth now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I'm planning on moving there in the spring. I'm concerned that the Raleigh area is going to become overpopulated like it has in FL. Taxes in FL have gotten out of control and I just hope it won't happen in NC. It is really beautiful there and I hope it stays that way.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:05 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
Worker bee I feel your pain but its already to late the main surge has already happened. It has started to slow now less transplants moving in because they have discovered jobs are harder to find they they were led to believe. Also housing in Raleigh Cary and Charlotte have increased in price as alot of the country is decreasing harder to afford. Maybe the growth areas will catch up with roads and schools now that things have slowed.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
These things have a way of working themselves out naturally as the market changes. Homes no longers being "good deals", overcrowded schools, higher taxes, fewer jobs. People will begin looking elsewhere. I have heard that some of the more rural, southern costal communites are gaining popularity with newcomers.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
The water issues have nothing to do with a historic drought? Jobs are difficult to find (we have very low unemployement numbers)? Your home appreciation is somehow a problem? You think your child having a fundraiser at school has something to do with the growth we are seeing (we had these constantly when I was a kid, and we were not having growth issues). Strange post.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Yeah I agree with this being a weird post. Are you having a bad day? Growth has happened is happening everywhere in this country. More people are moving into this country and the birth rate is higher than the death rate, so the whole country is growing. This area is far from being "overpopulated". It might be worse then what it used to be, but so is everywhere else. I'm sure they said the same things in LI in the 1940's and 50's and the same thing in the DC area in the 1970's 80's. Look at Phoenix, AZ and tell me about growth. This area is a wonderful place to live still and the sky is not falling

Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Oh, and the kids have been doing school fundraisers since the beginning of time here. I went to WCPSS myself and we did fundraisers back in the 70's!!! Kids have always had to pay for their own field trips if it's something that cost money. The schools never paid for that.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
if schools having a crisis for having a fundraiser for electronic signs and field trips then the schools must be in great shape if that is there concerns for needs of extra money.

This has nothing to do with growth schools in NC normally always do fundraisers for field trips sport equipment least for last 30 years.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The water issues have nothing to do with a historic drought? Jobs are difficult to find (we have very low unemployement numbers)? Your home appreciation is somehow a problem? You think your child having a fundraiser at school has something to do with the growth we are seeing (we had these constantly when I was a kid, and we were not having growth issues). Strange post.
I do not think this is a strange post. Many other natives share the general sentiment. This area may have low unemployment but how many of these jobs are good paying ones? I know a lot of people who are under employed. Homes may appreciate but what about the increase in taxes? What about the natives that are trying to buy their first homes? This area may be cheaper for those coming from New York, California, etc but it is more expensive for those that are from here. Water issues may be caused by a historic drought but we could have dealt with it a lot better if North Carolina had not become such a popular place to move to.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Yeah I agree with this being a weird post. Are you having a bad day? Growth has happened is happening everywhere in this country. More people are moving into this country and the birth rate is higher than the death rate, so the whole country is growing. This area is far from being "overpopulated". It might be worse then what it used to be, but so is everywhere else. I'm sure they said the same things in LI in the 1940's and 50's and the same thing in the DC area in the 1970's 80's. Look at Phoenix, AZ and tell me about growth. This area is a wonderful place to live still and the sky is not falling

IMO, this is our biggest problem. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, net international migration accounts for between 40 and 45 percent of annual growth in recent years. We have got to solve the immigration problem. We should stop illegal immigration and reduce legal immigration to a sensible, reasonable amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary