Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

397 posts, read 805,415 times

Advertisements

In todays market, lots of people detest carpet. And most newer builds, it's hardwards on the main level. And when people renovate, they usually go with hardwood floors.

It's easier to maintain wood floors, and they are better for people with pets and allergies.

You can't put solid wood in a basement. It needs to be engineered wood with multiple plies (like plywood) to resist warping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM

17 posts, read 25,222 times
Thank you all.

I never thought about carpeting and allergies. That certainly does make sense. And I suppose if you have young children it's easier to clean up hardwood floors. I'm just a little nervous about banging it up. If you have pets, will their nails scratch the floor?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickpeas View Post
If you have pets, will their nails scratch the floor?
Yes, but solid hardwood floors can be refinished. If I had a dog, I would prefer laminate (like Pergo) floors. Cats are also hard on carpeting.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM

397 posts, read 805,415 times
It depends on what type of floor.

Oak is very popular as the grain is tough and can hide nicks and scratches.

It's also plentiful and not very expensive per s.f.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
You don't need a basement here. You could spend the money on a basement or have a larger above ground living space. Most people prefer more above ground space. Hardwood floors are in, and most homes have AC so that controls the humidity. Mine definitely swell up a bit in the summer however.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 20,112 times
Default love hardwood floors

I started looking for a small house (under 2000 sq. ft.) or townhouse in Cary with hardwood floors and was surprised that I couldn't find any. I lived in DC and the northeast for 30 years and hardwood floors on both first and second floor are very common. I love wood floors and am having a hard time getting used to carpeting. Oak floors are beautiful, easy to maintain, and great for people with allergies. The finish doesn't scratch that easily. (I'm not sure about dogs). I grew up in the tropics where tile and terrazo floors are the way to go, so I guess climate must have a lot to do with preferences. But if anyone knows of modest places in this area with hardwood floors, I'd love to know!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivap View Post
I started looking for a small house (under 2000 sq. ft.) or townhouse in Cary with hardwood floors and was surprised that I couldn't find any. I lived in DC and the northeast for 30 years and hardwood floors on both first and second floor are very common. I love wood floors and am having a hard time getting used to carpeting. Oak floors are beautiful, easy to maintain, and great for people with allergies. The finish doesn't scratch that easily. (I'm not sure about dogs). I grew up in the tropics where tile and terrazo floors are the way to go, so I guess climate must have a lot to do with preferences. But if anyone knows of modest places in this area with hardwood floors, I'd love to know!
I'm going to take a guess and say that your budget is why you are not finding houses with hardwood floors.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 20,112 times
Perhaps that's it, although there was a townhouse in Carpenter Village with wood floors on first floor and asking price of $165,000. My budget is @$250,000.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
in Cary, you'd need to put the hardwoods in yourself - that is, hire a qualified contractor after the fact to put them in.

Hardwoods first floor, up the stairs, and in the hall - I've seen that on occasion, so that home was most likely a presale at some point. You'd also expect this to start in a $350K+ Cary home.

Hardwoods both floors? Downtown Raleigh and other homes built early 70's and before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary