Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM

328 posts, read 767,034 times

Advertisements

Thank you to the person who returned my wallet at Whole Foods today! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM

52 posts, read 89,831 times
Some years ago we realized that the old car my in laws had in Fla was nickel and diming them to death. They were putting everything on credit cards because they only lived on Soc Sec. They were proud as many of the greatest generation are; they did not want to worry anyone in the family that they were struggling. My husband and I decided to buy them a new car in NY and drive it to Fla and surprise them. The joy we got from suprising them gave us so much more than the car ever gave to them. We were like kids silently steering the car into the car port and knocking on the door, then handing the keys to his Dad. ( They never knew we were coming) My father in law was so overwhelmed he could not sleep, he kept going out to sit in the car all night long. They never had a new car in their whole lives. When I think of it, especially since they have both passed on, the memory still makes me so happy..the gift of the car was really a memory gift to us! I was lucky, I really loved my in-laws. My husband and I have been together since we were 15 and 17 and they are in all of my lifetime memories.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeden View Post
Some years ago we realized that the old car my in laws had in Fla was nickel and diming them to death. They were putting everything on credit cards because they only lived on Soc Sec. They were proud as many of the greatest generation are; they did not want to worry anyone in the family that they were struggling. My husband and I decided to buy them a new car in NY and drive it to Fla and surprise them. The joy we got from suprising them gave us so much more than the car ever gave to them. We were like kids silently steering the car into the car port and knocking on the door, then handing the keys to his Dad. ( They never knew we were coming) My father in law was so overwhelmed he could not sleep, he kept going out to sit in the car all night long. They never had a new car in their whole lives. When I think of it, especially since they have both passed on, the memory still makes me so happy..the gift of the car was really a memory gift to us! I was lucky, I really loved my in-laws. My husband and I have been together since we were 15 and 17 and they are in all of my lifetime memories.
A very lovely story. A huge gift from you both. A Great story.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I was eating lunch out today with a disabled family member. Later, when I went to pay our tab, I was told that someone else had already paid it. I don't know who you are, but thank-you and God bless you. It was greatly appreciated.
Since we are so deep into this thread I was wondering if everybody has seen the movie? If not, you really need to see the movie.

This movie is a keeper as large as Field of Dreams.

supernc42

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
We recently got married down at the court house. I am talking about the last six weeks. After the ceremony my son and SIL took off after being our witness'.

I texted my bro in Ma that we were at the bar having a gin and tonic at the Angus barn just before dinner with my new wife. He texted back "What is the Angus Barn?" So I told him.

So we were promptly seated with all the pomp and grandeur at Angus Barn w/ balloons and free bottle of bubbly having told them what the special event was. We looked over the menu knowing we had a $100.00 gift certificate left over from Christmas from work in our pocket.

It was then that the head of the restaurant came over to the table and asked if we knew a Brad and Peggy. I said yes, that is my brother in Massachusetts. He then said "Enjoy your dinner, it is on him". I cannot tell you they joy we felt. What a special brother and SIL to reach out, find the restaurant we were at and plunk their Master Card down for dinner.

So we finished our lovely dinner and were enjoying our paid for meal when my new wife said " Do you want to do something crazy?" I thought that was a loaded question on a honeymoon night.....ok, what?

"Pay it forward", she said

WOW. I had to stop and think. It would be really nice to still have a $100. 00 gift certificate to use another time. But I totally agreed.

We then asked the waitress over to the table and asked that she apply the gift certificate to the couple at the table across from us. They had balloons too. They were an older couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

As we left we congratulated them on their achievement. They also noted that we were on day one. I told them we had a lot to do to catch up. They congratulated us also.

We then quietly left the building.

True story March 2, 2012.

Pay it forward.
This brought a tear to my eye!

Our anniversary is March 2 too! We've been married 27 years. Hope you have many, many wonderful years together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary