Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM

154 posts, read 389,482 times

Advertisements

If you buy a house that close to train tracks, how will you ever know if a tornado is coming?

: )

flamtap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,159 times
Figure out which set of tracks you're talking about.

1. There is the NC RR which is run by Norfolk Southern and probably sees a couple dozen fast, heavy, and long trains a day, including six Amtrak trains. This one runs parallel to NC54 through Cary.

2. There is the CSX "S" line which runs parallel to Old Apex Road and Salem Street. This sees two Amtrak trains per day and probably two to four freight trains.

3. There is another CSX line that runs parallel to Davis Drive and NC55. This one has no more than two freight trains daily (one in each direction) and the trains move no faster than 10mph and never (in my observation) at night. It is also very unlikely that CSX will do anything to increase traffic on this line.

If it is #1 or #2 don't do it. If it is #3 I would consider it.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Figure out which set of tracks you're talking about.

1. There is the NC RR which is run by Norfolk Southern and probably sees a couple dozen fast, heavy, and long trains a day, including six Amtrak trains. This one runs parallel to NC54 through Cary.

2. There is the CSX "S" line which runs parallel to Old Apex Road and Salem Street. This sees two Amtrak trains per day and probably two to four freight trains.

3. There is another CSX line that runs parallel to Davis Drive and NC55. This one has no more than two freight trains daily (one in each direction) and the trains move no faster than 10mph and never (in my observation) at night. It is also very unlikely that CSX will do anything to increase traffic on this line.

If it is #1 or #2 don't do it. If it is #3 I would consider it.

And #3 has a siding that faces The Villages, with a spur for Guy C Lee deliveries.
That siding is where cars may sit for extended periods of time.

#3 will run at night a few times a year when they get behind schedule, but also has only run on a weekend 4 or 5 time in the ten years we have lived along it.

Still, the price to purchase has to make it palatable. Our appraisal was nicked $20,000 ten years ago to reflect the tracks.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKMA View Post
Help! I found a house in Apex but was told there will be freight trains running twice a day behind the house. The distance between the house and the rail is 200 feet apart.

Do you think when the freight trains come by, it will be very loud? Any idea how loud it is? Anyone have similar experience about living next to the rail road? Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

If you are this concerned now and have only looked at the home it would be a clue to me to look elsewhere.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Don't do it. In Apex there will not be only 2 trains coming by a day. Think more like 4 and hour sometimes. On average maybe 2 and hour...but always one an hour. Used to live there and would count them. We too were really close to the tracts and I was shocked at how active the train tracts were in Apex. Some were freight and some were not

Four an hour? I would be in heaven! I'd give anything to know the schedule of trains, especially freights. I've tried for a long time to make notes of when and where they run but they never stick to it it seems. Knowing a schedule would make benching soooooooo much easier!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,711,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I'd give anything to know the schedule of trains, especially freights.
In the vicinity of the Triangle, freights don't really have exact schedules. People familiar with the railroads know about what times to expect certain freights, but there are both extras and annulments.

On a much busier freight line, such as Rocky Mount-Fayetteville or Greensboro-Charlotte, it's more likely that some of the freights do have an established schedule. But there are still many that don't.

For passenger trains in North Carolina, the best source for schedules is NCDOT Rail Division

Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,542 times
I figured as much, thanks Wizard!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM

397 posts, read 805,328 times
I'm assuming you're talking about the villages of apex.

That sub is much discussed if you do a search here.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 20,864 times
Thank you all for the info. I got what I need to know now. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary