Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

TracFone has worked fine for years for me. It sure beats pay phones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM

448 posts, read 851,675 times
Has anyone used Simply Mobile with success? Has anyone had any luck buying unlocked phones on criaigslist and then went to one of these no-contract places? My contract is up with Verizon and after being with them for six years, I am really getting tired of paying so much month after month.

I typically don't use over 700 minutes per month or go over 250 texts. I don't have data on my current plan and don't use my phone as my main internet source although, I could see how it could be convenient once in awhile.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM

181 posts, read 387,416 times
I did a little researching on my own and while I can't comment specifically on Simply Mobile, it seem that you can buy an unlocked phone and have it activated through a no-contract place. the consensus (sp?) seems to be that you have to be sure that a phone you get from Craigslist is legit.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,331 times
I don't know if I would trust that one you got from a private individual off CL was really unlocked and could be used on the carrier you decide upon. I have bought unlocked ones off Ebay with good results, but always looked for someone who did it as a business, had lots of good feedback and could guarantee it could be activated on the carrier I was using.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
We have T-Mobile prepaid and have been very happy with it. No bells and whistles, just calls, which works out great for us. It's $100 for 1000 minutes and they are good for one year.

The T-Mobile prepaid phones are pretty crappy, though. My husband's didn't have a way to adjust the volume and you could barely hear the person on the other end. We solved this problem by buying a slightly better phone and putting the other phone's SIM card in it.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,955 times
I use Virigin Mobile prepaid. Call quality and signal strength have been great. I pay $35/mo for 300 anytime minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data

Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM

76 posts, read 220,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
I use Virigin Mobile prepaid. Call quality and signal strength have been great. I pay $35/mo for 300 anytime minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data
I'm in the same boat... was paying over $60 a month with ATT and now paying $35/month.

Also, I have an LG Optimus. It was wireless capabilities so when at home I can link it to my wireless router and stream netflix and youtube on it. It's faster than using the cell towers. Love it!

If there was a con, it would be this. I can't get text from people with IPhones or IPads that send out group texts. I guess it's a known issue that hopefully LG or someone is working on a fix for. All I get is a blank text from the person, and anyone responding back to the original group text. That is frustrating, but not enough to want to change phones. Not Virgin's fault either.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
I second page plus. i use my existing verizon phone and get plenty for 29.95. no taxes or anything extra.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Thanks for this thread..I have 2 phones on my plan with verizon ..One is a smart phone and my bill is pushing 200...

Will my sons new 4S Iphone from verizon be
able to trasfer to another like Trac Phone or Virgin Mobile.

Where does one go to talk to these companies ??

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM

181 posts, read 387,416 times
kelly,

they (at least Virgin, Net10, Straightalk) are sold in retail stores like Target, BB, Walmart etc... Of course I am sure it will vary on the particular salesperson how much detailed info they can give you. Just FYI, I talked with someone from Virgin Mobil though the IM feature on the website and they were helpful as far as the steps needed to transfer our existing number. I didn't ask about the Iphone though so I can't provide to you in that regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary