Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Diversity rule in Wake County school district, integrated schools, parents’ report income levels, low income students, rising test scores, standardized tests above grade level, maintain diversity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,107,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
"then everyone is on a more level footing." I don't see why people expect to be on level footing out of the womb. My grandfather was a leather factory worker who worked hard and provided for his family. My dad was a middle class truck driver for UPS and worked hard to provide and send his kids to state colleges...the first in our family. My sister and I both have upper middle class incomes, provide for ours kids, and stress education, and we hope will do better than us. Kids born Wellesley Massachusetts won the sperm lottery, but somewhere along the line the Wellesley families worked hard to put themselves in a position where they could live an affluent neighborhood.
I agree. This need to place everyone on a level footing smacks of "entitlement" which is a huge issue I have with much of what I see going on in the world today.

My grandparents were immigrants who escaped their own country with barely the clothes on their backs. My parents grew up in working class immigrant neighborhoods and after WWII, scraped to afford a home in another environment. My siblings and I were the first to attend college. Each generation wants better for their children--that is natural. And it can be done. But I see the difference even in my town between the people who worked hard for their money and the people who just had it handed to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
So if your dad was a lazy bum that didn't provide for you society should not consider it their concern to make sure you had an equal oppourtunity for education? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying

The neglected, uneducated of today could be the criminals of tomorrow. Children are everyone's future.
So if I started drinking heavily tomorrow, lost my job and my kids were out on the street, and I refused treatment or help but instead demanded that you, the taxpayer take my children and clothe, feed and educate them, you wouldn't have a problem with that?

p.s. I don't mean to imply that all poor people are purposely unemployed and drunks!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,172,915 times
I think Mt Vernon is an alternative school.
Anyway, I'ma supporter of Wake's diversity policy as well. My only complaint is that they don't spread it around enough. There are schools in Wake with 16-20% F&R lunch, while other schools are at 70%. If you're going to do it, do it across the board.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,673,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
So if I started drinking heavily tomorrow, lost my job and my kids were out on the street, and I refused treatment or help but instead demanded that you, the taxpayer take my children and clothe, feed and educate them, you wouldn't have a problem with that?

p.s. I don't mean to imply that all poor people are purposely unemployed and drunks!
What is the alternative?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Well, the altnerative would be to tie social services programs to some sort of measurement that the receipients are also helping themselves. Sort of like the work to welfare program, though I'm not so sure how successful that's been.

I'm treading on another subject here, but now many F&R lunch students are illegal immigrants or children of illegal immigrants? People break the law to come here and your tax dollars are going to educate them and your children are being bussed over an hour each way (on school busses without seat belts) so the school board can homogenize the schools.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Another question that has always plagued me as well: when I hear people complain that their kids don't get to go to a "neighborhood" school and they're going to send them to private instead. How is a private school a "neighborhood school"? It makes me think that the argument is not REALLY about neighborhood schools.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,673,675 times
Your previous post said that you would refuse treatment. As a taxpayer I would want parental rights to be given up in that case. That is what foster care and adoption is for. It's not ideal. But it's better than being raised by an alcoholic. As far as the other subject -- that's another whole can of worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Well, the altnerative would be to tie social services programs to some sort of measurement that the receipients are also helping themselves. Sort of like the work to welfare program, though I'm not so sure how successful that's been.

I'm treading on another subject here, but now many F&R lunch students are illegal immigrants or children of illegal immigrants? People break the law to come here and your tax dollars are going to educate them and your children are being bussed over an hour each way (on school busses without seat belts) so the school board can homogenize the schools.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Besides that, *most* (not all I know, but most) upper income children are not being bussed an hour away unless it's to a magnet they applied for. It's generally the lower income students who are being bussed out.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Another question that has always plagued me as well: when I hear people complain that their kids don't get to go to a "neighborhood" school and they're going to send them to private instead. How is a private school a "neighborhood school"? It makes me think that the argument is not REALLY about neighborhood schools.
Good point. I think the issue is nebulous--you probably couldn't cleanly define it as about neighborhood schools. There are a number of people in my town who send their kids to private schools. I scratch my head over that as our town has high property taxes to fund these schools. If I sent my kids to private school, I wouldn't be living in this town. I'd move 8 miles down the road where the school system is mediocre and the property taxes a lot lower!

That said, a lot of families put their kids through the public elementary and middle schools and then pull them out for private high school. Again, some head scratching here, though in some cases I can see it: one boy I know goes to a Catholic boys school, Division I. (our high school is division 3). He's an elite lacrosse player and he will get better coaching and recognition in a D1 school. He also did not do well in middle school and the smaller class size is paying off for him in terms of better grades.

A lot of the families in my town who put their kids in private school have them in Catholic school. They feel strongly about religious ed and the atmosphere promoted by Catholic school (my town is heavily Catholic). And of course there are parents who put their kids in private school "because they can" and/or because they think their child will be accepted to a better college. I don't know--10% of our graduating class usually gets accepted to an Ivy League or just under Ivy League school. So I'm not sure about that logic.

However, even the parents who send their kids to private school/high school here are very involved in the community. They still support school fundraising efforts. If their oldest is in private high school, chances are their younger children are still in public school.

That didn't answer your question but perhaps it provided another dimension.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Your previous post said that you would refuse treatment. As a taxpayer I would want parental rights to be given up in that case. That is what foster care and adoption is for. It's not ideal. But it's better than being raised by an alcoholic. As far as the other subject -- that's another whole can of worms
Wow, so is the taking away of parental rights! (though I agree with you, I'm probably going to get flamed as it is on my views re: desegregation/diversity, and illegal immigrants!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary