Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,901 times

Advertisements

We are hosting a foreign exchange student this summer who likes animals. I'm trying to plan some overnight trips and want to do one that includes a zoo. Asheboro doesn't really seem to lend itself to an overnight, and it is spread out and hot. My youngest was there recently and was sort of ho-hum about it.

So are there other zoos or animal attractions that would be worth an overnight in combination with another good American tourist spot? SOmething within 3-4 hours?

Of course, the National Zoo in DC is on the list, but I'm also looking for other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,979,300 times
Haven't been there, but Columbia SC has a large zoo. Riverbanks Zoo and Garden :: Columbia, South Carolina
However, it would also be hot and most likely spread out like Asheboro. Don't see how you could have a modern zoo that wasn't spread out. The old fashioned zoos with animals lined up in cages seem to be out of favor.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,160,887 times
Personally I think the NC Zoo is much better than the National Zoo. The zoo is spread out so the animals can live in environments that mimic their natural homes For something close to home that could easily be a half day trip, why not check out the tiger refuge in Pittsboro? They have lots of other big cats there and it's a pretty cool place. Carolina Tiger Rescue - Home Page

Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM

494 posts, read 817,017 times
The Carolina Tiger Rescue is a great place! They offer feeding tours as well as the normal tours so that might be a unique experience for your exchange student. Carolina Tiger Rescue - Tours - Special Experiences

There is the Lazy 5 Ranch as well not too far away in Moorseville. North Carolina Animal Park | Lazy 5 Ranch

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM

81 posts, read 248,867 times
Why not a trip to the Outer Banks? You could head north of Corolla and try to see the wild horses, then you could go to the Aquarium in Manteo. On the way back from Manteo there's the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, which has endangered red wolves, bears, and other animals.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM

360 posts, read 993,657 times
Again, it's not an overnight trip, but right in your area, the Duke Lemur Center is one of the most important and interesting animal research centers in the world. They conduct tours by appointment. Duke Lemur Center

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,901 times
Thanks to you all!

My memory of the Asheboro zoo is admittedly 30+ years old. I suppose the trees have grown up a bit since then!

I think I need to find out what she means when she says she likes animals. Maybe we'd be better off at a pig farm or animal shelter than a zoo!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,723,109 times
We just went to the NC Zoo and LOVED IT . . didn't have the feel of a zoo but more of a perserve!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM

169 posts, read 575,103 times
I love the NC Zoo as well! I think it's much better and larger than a lot of zoos.

Have you looked into "Backstage Passes" offered by the NC Zoo? They take you "behind the scenes" of the zoo which would give a different perspective. I've never tried this, but they look like they would be fun and interesting for someone who likes animals. The cost is high, but the website says that most of the charge is tax deductible as a donation.

You can find out more by searching for Backstage Passes here:
Events for Members - NC Zoo Society

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,046 times
The NC Zoo is really nice, and I'm the type that normally finds zoos sad and depressing.

But if you really want an overnight trip with other touristy things to do, as you already mentioned DC would be a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary