Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTA View Post
To the OP: Forget the food truck rodeos and big festivals, that's where the crowds are huge, and you spend a lot of time waiting in lines, and sometimes the trucks themselves run out of food. Instead, follow the individual trucks on twitter and try to catch them at off-peak times, usually at local breweries or some other spots.
We live in Brier Creek. Is that a reasonable goal to follow them on twitter, then race out the door to catch them? I'm sorry if that sounds stupid, but this entire food truck phenomenon is brand new to us. Reminds me of first time I went to a conveyor belt sushi place and asked, "how does this work? How do I get some food? ''

The fact that we've only been here two weeks and I still get lost looking for the mailbox doesn't help. Hell, until yesterday, I thought DPAC had something to do with football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We live in Brier Creek. Is that a reasonable goal to follow them on twitter, then race out the door to catch them? I'm sorry if that sounds stupid, but this entire food truck phenomenon is brand new to us. Reminds me of first time I went to a conveyor belt sushi place and asked, "how does this work? How do I get some food? ''

The fact that we've only been here two weeks and I still get lost looking for the mailbox doesn't help. Hell, until yesterday, I thought DPAC had something to do with football.
Actually, it isn't quite that fast. You don't have to race out the door to get them.
For example, my husband saw yesterday that Chirba Chriba will be near our house today. Not a huge lead time, but enough for him to plan his errands around a stop for dumplings. Yes, sometimes they do post on very short notice, but often you have some lead time.

Give it time & you'll also start to get their patterns down. At the museum events (like summer solstace this Wed) you usually see the Parlor & Only Burger plus a few others, Only Burger also does one weekday @ UNC somewhere. And Sundays @ MotorCo you can usually find Kokyu. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at the moment, but if you follow them a while, you'll see their patterns.

Give it time, you've only been here two weeks. If you haven't yet, stop by the Visitor's Center & get some information & sign up for their weekly calendar on line. That will be a big help for you & the staff there is great! We've been here two years & still find things that we had no idea were there. That is part of the beauty of Durham.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Default MLS Summer Solstice trucks

Just FYI, the trucks at the Summer Solstice AfterHours event tomorrow evening at the Museum of Life and Science will be

Will & Pops (gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.)

Sarge's Chef on Wheels (soul food)

LoYo on the Go (frozen yogurt)

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

They're typically set up for anywhere from 2 hours (weekday lunch) to 6 hours or more (Sunday afternoons). A lot of places list their upcoming schedule pretty clearly. For example, check out the websites for http://www.piepushers.com/ and Monuts Donuts - Durham, NC to find the next several week's schedules for that truck and trike.

Oh, and I forgot to add: The Venable Center at 302 E Pettigrew St in Durham is starting to host trucks at lunch most weekdays, if you work anywhere near there.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Looks like Durham is proposing changes to its food trucks rules. Including 100' setback from restaurants and a ban around the Durham Durham Farmers' Market / Central Park Area while events are going on unless food trucks are on the event permit.

Read about it here: The Herald-Sun - City proposes overhauling food truck rules

Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Well there goes that fun

Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
The proposed changes would be devastating to Durham's food trucks. For example, a restaurant could decide to open up next to Fullsteam (there are spaces for lease right next door and rumors of a restaurant circling downtown) and that restaurant could then kick out all the food trucks that operate at Fullsteam. That would be terrible.

The exclusion around Central Park is also unfair. Vendors like Berenbaum's tried to become market members but the market didn't have room for them. Now they'll lose a huge source of their income. The food trucks definitely draw crowds to the Farmer's Market, and now they're going to be banned because some Farmer's Market vendors that sell ready-to-eat food don't want competition. There's clearly a gap in supply if all the food trucks are doing well and all the DFM vendors are doing well too. Why doesn't the Farmer's Market support food trucks?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Yeah- I go to the farmers market partly for the food trucks. What vendors there even sell ready to eat food? I only see veggies and meat/cheese.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM

149 posts, read 197,181 times
If you are lucky enough to work for a company that leases its space from Highwoods Properties then you can enjoy the food trucks at lunch. They just started rotating different trucks in each day during the week and it's been a big hit.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
If you are lucky enough to work for a company that leases its space from Highwoods Properties then you can enjoy the food trucks at lunch. They just started rotating different trucks in each day during the week and it's been a big hit.
Do you know if that's throughout their Triangle properties or just in Durham? My wife works at a Highwoods building in Raleigh and would LOVE to hear that news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary