Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Actually, hubby just reminded me that years ago, way before the cameras, he was rear ended on Six Forks Road, right where the cameras are now located.

Someone just didn't notice that the light was red. He stopped. They didn't.

Thats why they call them accidents!

Vicki
I disagree to some extent. In my opinion, an "accident" is when lightning hits a tree in your front yard and it falls on your house. Carelessness is when you are not paying attention to what you are doing and slam into the back of someone else's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is there a sign that says no right on red?
I could be wrong but I believe there is no such sign. I drive that way at least twice a day. You must stop at the red light but may turn right (after coming to a complete stop, not a north-carolina-rolling-stop). You can get a ticket (photo-ticket) if you merely yield, or even worse, don't even slow down.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I disagree to some extent. In my opinion, an "accident" is when lightning hits a tree in your front yard and it falls on your house. Carelessness is when you are not paying attention to what you are doing and slam into the back of someone else's car.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ac·ci·dent /ˈæksɪdənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ak-si-duhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
My wife was following me across an intersection through Knightdale a few weeks ago. Of course, she wanted to stay up with me so we could go to a little diner. Instead, she tripped the red light camera and got her picture taken. Within a week, we were sent a $50 bill.

My wife even has a plastic cover over the license plate, of course it doesn't work for refracting the flash.

Red Light cameras do no prevent accidents, they are merely more revenue for our government.
i am getting a little parinoid about driving bek of these.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I always thought that the lightening example was 'an act of god' rather than an accident.
Accidents by virtue of their nature always involve an element of carelessness i.e. knocking over a glass of milk. Had I not known the glass was there it would be a true accident , if I did, then it could have been avoided had I been exercising due diligence
. Most car related incidents can me avoided had the driver been paying better attention to what they were doing .

Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
P51

61 posts, read 306,490 times
Speaking as one who has been t-boned by a red light runner, I say there should be more cameras. Pay attention and anticipate the light changing. Leave early so you don't have to rush. Hang up your damn cell phone. You might save someone's life, and your own.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
These days around where I live you can leave early & still end up being late with all the dang construction going on around here...

But anyway, I got ticket. I was on Maynard at the intersection of Kildaire Farm Rd. I was in a left turn lane & when the light for the traffic going straight turned green I started to go. I realized what I was doing and was in the middle of the interesection so I signeled & when it was safe I went straight. The light was green for people to go straight, but I got a ticket because the light was red for people to turn and that's the lane I was in. I was motified!! My dh teased me endlessly. This happened when we first moved here and now I'm much more aware of where the cameras are. I know my way around a lot better too.

I was RELIEVED to find out it wouldn't go against points on my license or be reported to the insurance company.

My dh is taking the Cary Citizens Police Academy class and he was asking about the traffic cameras at interesections. The police said that when the cameras go up the incidents of rear end collisions increase.
So yr trading one type of accident for another.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
These days around where I live you can leave early & still end up being late with all the dang construction going on around here...

But anyway, I got ticket. I was on Maynard at the intersection of Kildaire Farm Rd. I was in a left turn lane & when the light for the traffic going straight turned green I started to go. I realized what I was doing and was in the middle of the interesection so I signeled & when it was safe I went straight. The light was green for people to go straight, but I got a ticket because the light was red for people to turn and that's the lane I was in. I was motified!! My dh teased me endlessly. This happened when we first moved here and now I'm much more aware of where the cameras are. I know my way around a lot better too.

I was RELIEVED to find out it wouldn't go against points on my license or be reported to the insurance company.

My dh is taking the Cary Citizens Police Academy class and he was asking about the traffic cameras at interesections. The police said that when the cameras go up the incidents of rear end collisions increase.
So yr trading one type of accident for another.
Don't drive thru the red light, you don't get a ticket.

Don't follow too closely and you don't rear end the person in front of you.

Seems simple to me.

Vicki

Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
One of my family members got one of those in the mail and we paid it. It clearly showed the car in the intersection from several angles. I could rationalize all the reasons why its not fair and its a money making scheme but bottom line its for safety. I know we all pay much more attention to that yellow light now then we did before! <<Just hate coughing up the $50....Grrrrr>>

Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Don't drive thru the red light, you don't get a ticket.

Don't follow too closely and you don't rear end the person in front of you.

Seems simple to me.

Vicki

Yes, it's quite simple isn't it? I happened to have a lot on my mind that day & was not paying as close attention as I should have been. It didn't help I was new to the area and not familiar with all the interesections around here. I am not arguing I didn't deserve it, because I know I did.

& As for the rear end accidents. I have no personal experience with that and it does seem simple to me also. I was just stating what the police told my husband - when the cameras go up, rear end accidents increase.

I think we all know the rules of driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary