Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM

43 posts, read 320,351 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in a passive solar home? It may sound insane, being concerned with passive solar heating when Aug 10 forecast predicts
102F. only 88% humidity.

I'm a big guy. Any way you cut it, that's hot.
However, a home design and lot selection (home orientation) which maximizes solar gain in winter,
also minimizes solar heat gain in summer. (Happy with your August air conditioning bill?)
Cool in summer. Warm in winter.

Google "solar angle" or "passive solar" if you want to learn more. Or hire an architect...

My wife thought I was being too picky when I wanted a lot on a street with an East-West orientation. However 1 out of 6 lots meet my needs. That's not being too picky. After all, we're talking about saving money over the long haul.

I've located a lot, deposited a minimum amount of earnest money (builder accepted $1K), and am planning on putting in the hooks for home automation, automatic window blinds, adaptive perimeter security, retractable cover for my Koi pond--
"But Cap'n, Imma engineer-- I canna help me-self!!!"

Of course, this will need to be easy to upgrade with new system releases over the 10-30 year plan
or easily disabled / converted to remove the automation components-- no system lasts forever. Imagine in 2027, complaining about a problem with Windows 95

Aug 13 pick up apartment keys
Aug 14 Son's first day of school
Aug 16 New parent orientation
Aug 19 Back in Chicago until... whenever. Somebody has to pay the bills.
My 6th trip to Raleigh.
Family's final trip to Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
I am an Engineer myself, had to figure only another geek would respond to this

I have always been curious about the ROI of the equipment required to make this solar stuff happen. What have you discovered in your planning?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
We live in a passive solar home and love it! If I were building a home, I would absolutely want to design it with passive solar elements.

It used to also have active solar components and we are considering adding these back for hot water heating.

Our average power bills (which includes heat and cooling) are around $60/month for a 2000 sq foot home.

Our home is very good at maintaining temperatures, thanks to the thermal mass of the brick floor. It is also oriented a bit off south, so as to avoid excessive heating. Deciduous trees also play a role in shading the open glass side of the house in summer. During colder temperatures, the sun room can be opened up to the house to allow heat to spread through the rooms. We also use a wood stove in winter to further limit our use of the heat pump. On cold days we are around enough to keep the wood stove cranking, the heat pump won't run at all.

p.s. we have an engineer in the household, too

Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 AM

43 posts, read 320,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
I am an Engineer myself, had to figure only another geek would respond to this

I have always been curious about the ROI of the equipment required to make this solar stuff happen. What have you discovered in your planning?
The biggest challenges (besides living 900 miles away from my family) was finding a suitable lot that was within my budget. Semi-custom builders do very little to meet these special needs. I located a custom builder who wanted me to use the lots he already owned. Simple economics; you want to turn your inventory.

The builder did locate a lot with deciduous tree to the south (shade in summer, sun in winter.)

ROI: unknown. Having lived in a house with most of the windows on the east & west, I am simply looking for comfort & liveability. This is more of a marketing question, than engineering finance.

The builder quoted the standard windows he always uses. No efficiency ratings. I expect to pay more upfront on the windows. The contract seems to be more like a gentlemen's handshake. His father is also a builder.

To avoid overheating in the winter, I was planning on leaving in the hooks for automated blinds if the house gets too warm. Wireless or PowerLineCarrier... I dunno... I'll design something. I'm also planning on hooks for home security.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
The biggest challenges (besides living 900 miles away from my family) was finding a suitable lot that was within my budget. Semi-custom builders do very little to meet these special needs. I located a custom builder who wanted me to use the lots he already owned. Simple economics; you want to turn your inventory.

The builder did locate a lot with deciduous tree to the south (shade in summer, sun in winter.)

ROI: unknown. Having lived in a house with most of the windows on the east & west, I am simply looking for comfort & liveability. This is more of a marketing question, than engineering finance.

The builder quoted the standard windows he always uses. No efficiency ratings. I expect to pay more upfront on the windows. The contract seems to be more like a gentlemen's handshake. His father is also a builder.

To avoid overheating in the winter, I was planning on leaving in the hooks for automated blinds if the house gets too warm. Wireless or PowerLineCarrier... I dunno... I'll design something. I'm also planning on hooks for home security.
Why the mean face? I think what you are doing is pretty cool. I was just curious if the lower utility bills paid for the extra upfront costs in the long run and how long you thought it might take to reach a balance. Since you are doing it more for comfort then this isn't a major concern for you.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me just wanted to make sure you knew that I wasn't bashing your ideas or anything, I was just curious. Good luck with your project and be sure to keep us posted!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
There is quite a bit of interest in alternative energy around here. NC State University has had a solar center, NCSU Solar House, since the early 1980's. You might tour that solar home and pick up info. Advanced Energy, Advanced Energy, was set up by the NC Utilities Commission to promote energy efficiency. We signed up for a low cost energy audit for our home in Chapel Hill. The energy auditor, Bill Klotz worked for six years for Advanced Energy in their new construction division and now has his own new home construction consulting business, My Building Help. He seems quite competetant and connected if you want some oversight for your building and local connections. I could dig up more info if you want. I've been involved in passive solar and home construction since the early 1980's. My favorite windows last time I looked were the Integrity windows by Marvin, Integrity Windows and Doors. They are pultruded fiberglass and have quite a few advantages over straight wood or vinyl.

Best wishes with your long distance building and family!

Alice

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,312 times
There is a solar homes community is Durham called Solterra. All the homes were situated to take full advantage of passive solar energy. It is a co-housing community, which is not for everyone.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Enertia is a very innovative company based in WF/Youngsville. They have solid timber homes that utilize both thermal envelope and passive solar design elements to heat and cool their homes. They are not a builder, but rather they sell kits similar to a log home fabricator and can do custom designs, also. While they are located locally in the Triangle, their homes have been build all over the country. Hybrid Solar House > Home

Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default I want some

I want some of that free power!!!
I hope that the politics of alternative fuel lose their stangle hold on this. Also cost needs to come down some.

Solar panels really dont look that bad on a house and the sun has been pouring out this free energy forever and we still really arent using it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary