Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 AM

16 posts, read 43,529 times

Advertisements

Are these pretty comparable neighborhoods? We are hoping to find a pool community neighborhood in that area where there are at least some families with young children. I did see the thread with pictures of Ethan's Glen but I have not seen many posts talking about Parker Falls. Any insight is welcome, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Ethan's Glen is MUCH larger, but style of home, size of lot, and quality of builders they are similar.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Ethan's Glen is MUCH larger, but style of home, size of lot, and quality of builders they are similar.
Thank you for the response. Would you say they are relatively equal in desirability in terms of resale as well? I am not from the area so I appreciate the help. We really like the looks of both online and plan to visit. I just haven't really heard much about Parker Falls and wasn't sure about it.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
Both are nice neighborhoods and have a lot in common. Both have a good selection of custom builders, both for existing construction and new construction. Prices for new construction is comparable. You will probably have better luck finding (somewhat) lower priced resells in Ethan's Glen, as it is several years older than Parker Falls and many of the earlier homes were built for less than the current $700K entry point for a new home.

I haven't been to the pools, but the clubhouse at Ethan's Glen looks a bit larger. That makes sense for a larger neighborhood. Given Parker Falls has fewer homes, I would expect its pool to be less crowded.

For negatives:

Parker Falls has a "split" neighborhood, by which I mean there are two sections that have separate entrances to the neighborhood, and the streets in the the two sections are not connected. I've never been a huge fan of that. The larger, existing section, which is where the pool is located, is mostly built out. The newer section has little development at this point in time and appears to be less wooded.

Ethan's Glen has power lines that run through a portion of the neighborhood. It also has some homes that back up to Hwy 98, which is a noisy, busy road. I'd steer clear of either when looking at a home or home site.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Both are nice neighborhoods and have a lot in common. Both have a good selection of custom builders, both for existing construction and new construction. Prices for new construction is comparable. You will probably have better luck finding (somewhat) lower priced resells in Ethan's Glen, as it is several years older than Parker Falls and many of the earlier homes were built for less than the current $700K entry point for a new home.

I haven't been to the pools, but the clubhouse at Ethan's Glen looks a bit larger. That makes sense for a larger neighborhood. Given Parker Falls has fewer homes, I would expect its pool to be less crowded.

For negatives:

Parker Falls has a "split" neighborhood, by which I mean there are two sections that have separate entrances to the neighborhood, and the streets in the the two sections are not connected. I've never been a huge fan of that. The larger, existing section, which is where the pool is located, is mostly built out. The newer section has little development at this point in time and appears to be less wooded.

Ethan's Glen has power lines that run through a portion of the neighborhood. It also has some homes that back up to Hwy 98, which is a noisy, busy road. I'd steer clear of either when looking at a home or home site.

Those are the exact 2 negatives we identified, split entrance at Parker and power lines in Ethan's. We were told they will likely combine the 2 sections in Parker but not sure when or if it will actually happen. Glad to know we are getting our info right. Thanks for the response!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,504 times
Resales are going to be slow anywhere north of 540. The only thing selling quickly are the new homes priced $400-600k including Falls River.

I personally love Ethans Glen esp The Gates @ EG. The lots are large and everyone that I have met while showing homes are very nice and approachable. I would not buy a house in that area with the expectation of making money.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
Resales are going to be slow anywhere north of 540. The only thing selling quickly are the new homes priced $400-600k including Falls River.

I personally love Ethans Glen esp The Gates @ EG. The lots are large and everyone that I have met while showing homes are very nice and approachable. I would not buy a house in that area with the expectation of making money.
Our plan is to be there for the long haul, we definitely won't need more space so trying to get it right the first time. Our kids are young and will be going to a private close-by thus how we landed on these 2 neighborhoods. Parker would be a little closer, but both manageable. We did look at a few other pool communities with new/newer construction towards Wake Forest but that would make my husbands commute longer than ideal.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
Homes East of Falls of Neuse tend to appeal to a different set of buyers than those in the Falls Lake watershed. There are certainly a premium to be paid for buying in the watershed, but for many it is worth the extra cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary