Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:03 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
You shouldn't have to ask your agent to accompany the inspector on the inspections. That is something a good agent should already know to do. I know there are some agents that accompany their clients to sign the contract on new construction, never to be heard from again. They are just waiting for their check. Alot of the on-site agents that I have dealt with in the past and present know that I am there every step of the way, no matter how many trips I have to make out there. I actually think they get tired of looking at me ;-) Oh well I am just looking out for my clients best interest, and yes be very PICKY. I am, and the more eyes the better.

Everyone have a great weekend. Off to my deck with the coffee.

Debbie

Well, yeah. I knew that.
Just trying to give the Buyer a proactive stance.
Look at the number of folks here who post how they were fleeced and didn't even HAVE an agent, or had a "sleepy" agent.

"Confirm your agent will get his/her big old butt to the inspection" may be more appropriate, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Hi Vicki.

Thanks for the PM.

Yes, I owned a home once. In New Orleans, we bought part of a duplex. The economy fell out in the late 1980's and the utility company I worked in IT for, Entergy, got in near mortal trouble with failed nukes after Three Mile Island.

No jobs at all. Even Mickey Dee's had a 6 month waiting list. We ran through our money and were lucky to get a job in Raleigh at 30% less pay. The house sold for half the mortgage balance in foreclosure, and we had to file Chapter 7 since the IRS code considers a written off debt as taxable income unless you file Chapter 7.

The Lord was good in providing the job which came with relo so we didn't lose all of our stuff. We came back to Jesus at Crossroads Fellowship in Raleigh, and life has been great to us. My FICO score is now 820.

So, the house (only thing we bought in 37 years) didn't work out, but God's plan to bring us home to him found us a great church home after 20 years away from Him.

As the pastor says, "God is good all the time".

So, many clouds can have a silver lining and be sure to follow God's lead if He tells you to move. There may be more than real estate behind it.
Thanks SF, for your input! And to the person that gave me the neg. point, SF knows me pretty well, by now! He knows that I would never say anything to hurt his feelings. He understands SENSE OF HUMOR, something thats so necessary in life nowadays!

Vicki

Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 AM

35 posts, read 293,053 times
look at it this way - what if for some reason you had to sell this home in 6 months - the buyer walks through and wants YOU to fix the nail holes, etc. - now YOU are paying someone to fix them -

Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 24,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridleygal View Post
look at it this way - what if for some reason you had to sell this home in 6 months - the buyer walks through and wants YOU to fix the nail holes, etc. - now YOU are paying someone to fix them -
This is not true. If the home is sold anytime within the first year after purchase, the builder will fix anything that is covered under your one-year warranty. I work for a builder, and we have done this many times. Only the items covered under the warranty will be fixed.

As far as how picky to be; be picky. All items will be fixed BEFORE closing. AFTER closing, many items will not be fixed, as they are not covered under your warranty. You should have been given a copy of your warranty booklet at time of contract. If you did not get a copy, ask the builder for a copy. Do not just throw it in a drawer somewhere, read it. It is filled with lots of good information and specifies what is covered under the warranty and what is not, and what the builder’s responsibilities in repair are.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
One thing to remember is that no matter what, your home will never be perfect. Humans make mistakes, and things like your trim work will always have some imperfections. If you tour some of the million dollar homes on the Parade over the next few weekends you'll see that.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Thanks SF, for your input! And to the person that gave me the neg. point, SF knows me pretty well, by now! He knows that I would never say anything to hurt his feelings. He understands SENSE OF HUMOR, something thats so necessary in life nowadays!

Vicki
That's so true in this troubled world.

Luv ya Vicki!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 PM

86 posts, read 141,881 times
Default Take along post-it-notes and mark everything!

Take along a note pad and write down every remark. Give a copy of the "punch list" to your realtor/sales person. They have thirty days to complete them.

They need to be reasonable. The seller could easily say, 'Here's your earnest money, go elsewhere", if your really picky.

Best thing to do is follow the guidelines:
1)Lock in Rate
2)Walk Through Punch List
3)Confirm Punch List Completion
4)Hire Inspector
5)Sign Mortgage Contract
6)Movie in and Enjoy
7)90 day punch list and 12 month punch list

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
One thing to remember is that no matter what, your home will never be perfect. Humans make mistakes, and things like your trim work will always have some imperfections. If you tour some of the million dollar homes on the Parade over the next few weekends you'll see that.
Really..then my check at closing should not be perfect, it should be minus some $$ after all mistakes are mistakes.

The builder should fix the mistakes, if they dont want to walk away..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Really..then my check at closing should not be perfect, it should be minus some $$ after all mistakes are mistakes.

The builder should fix the mistakes, if they dont want to walk away..
So, you are telling me your home is perfect? B/C mine surely is not. I'm not saying that the builder should not fix things that need to be fixed, but if your trim has a small flaw, I think that is understandable.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default was perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
So, you are telling me your home is perfect? B/C mine surely is not. I'm not saying that the builder should not fix things that need to be fixed, but if your trim has a small flaw, I think that is understandable.
Just trying to say that it should be to the agreed upon condition. If it is a new house there are no acceptable reasons to have issues that are not fixed before closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: