Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,478 times

Advertisements

If I had a much higher budget I would get a Hancock & Moore leather couch. The other manufacturer I really like for upholstered couches is Lee Industries. I am sure they have both of them at Furnitureland South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We seriously considered getting our furniture at Furnitureland South. We need an entire houseful and have time to preorder.

However, we decided against it for several reasons.

Delivery costs often cost as much as any savings.
Too many horror stories about customer service if there was a problem with your order - especially after delivery.
No credit cards accepted on delivery. That means that if you discover a problem after they leave, you don't even have the credit card company to help fix it.
Need to return something? Forget it.
AND, when reasonable , we prefer supporting local vendors.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
long ago, we bought our kitchen table through an interior designer. This table totally rocks! amazing quality. 12+ years old and looks brand new and it has been USED!at the time we used 'decorating den' - which I am not sure still exists as a franchise anymore.

Since then, any pieces that I have liked at friends/neighbors have been bought through interior designers -- you pay for it, but the quality is remarkable.

just wondering if interior designers have access to higher quality items than you'd see in a storefront store.

We'll be in the market shortly as our current LR furniture is being ripped to shreds by outdoor cats having to stay indoors...so keep us posted!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
I wouldn't consider Bassett or Haverty's to be "high-end" furniture, though that doesn't make it bad quality.

There's always a trade-off between how much quality matters to you vis a vis how much you are willing to pay. If you want simpler, classic American styles like mission, Craftsman, Shaker furniture, etc., it's hard to beat Pompanoosuc Mills, all-wood furniture crafted in Vermont. But, the price point is higher than you may want to buy, and shipping is expensive since we are outside their Northeast Corridor delivery zone.

Henredon (which has a store in Brier Creek) is another great place for higher-end furniture, though I wouldn't put it at Pompy's quality. OTOH, the Henredon outlet in Hickory is a "real outlet" with good prices... we bought a dining room table and six chairs there then bought two new chairs in Brier Creek to fill out the set.

The Mitchell + Gold outlet in Hickory is also worth checking out, as is Hickory White and a couple of other better brands.

I actually like shopping Furnitureland South to see the variety, but the prices are very high. Best bet: look for items at the clearance center, which by itself is as large as the biggest furniture store in the Triangle. It's only about 65 minutes' drive from Durham/Chapel Hill.

(And if you happen to be looking for a really formal, older-looking piece, don't forget Wilson, one of the antiques capitals of the East Coast, just an hour east of the Triangle. Doesn't sound like what you're looking for, though.)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM

185 posts, read 472,784 times
For craftsman furniture locally check out Mission Bungalow on Capital Blvd.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Fwiw I am a big fan of Klaussner - frames and springs I believe are guarenteed for life, and you can always reupholster through them. Also, its made in the USA - right here in NC in fact.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Fwiw I am a big fan of Klaussner - frames and springs I believe are guarenteed for life, and you can always reupholster through them. Also, its made in the USA - right here in NC in fact.
Klaussner was one of the first ones we looked at and we found several models that we liked. Several of the others we talked to placed Klaussner on the lower end of our "higher end" furniture makers. Do you have Klaussner furniture in your home now? How has it held up?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I liked the idea of them, too. Bought a couch from them (Glenwood Ave. store) and it was squeaking, giving way and getting tattered within the first six months. Gave it away and didn't look back.

OTOH, their price is right and the furniture design is clean/attractive. We might have gotten a bad break with one. BUT -- it was replacing a Rooms To Go sofa we had had since '99 that lasted, improbably, nine years. The Klaussner was in worse shape after 6 months than the RTG, which is usually crap, was through its first five years of life.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Yeah, thats unfortunate - Over the years I have bought ~four couches, some chairs, etc, from Klaussner and they have all been solid. The material held up well as well to food, pets, etc. so I can't speak to how they handle repairs, but when I got my latest piece from them there was an issue with the fabric on some pillows and they sent replacements without question.

Meanwhile, I just bought a piece from Rooms to Go, and it arrived with a misaligned door handle. R2G has sent me two additional doors so far to replace it but one arrived damaged and the other was for a different piece of furniture. Its now sending an entire new piece to me. Go figure!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,501 times
Default interior designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
long ago, we bought our kitchen table through an interior designer. This table totally rocks! amazing quality. 12+ years old and looks brand new and it has been USED!at the time we used 'decorating den' - which I am not sure still exists as a franchise anymore.

Since then, any pieces that I have liked at friends/neighbors have been bought through interior designers -- you pay for it, but the quality is remarkable.

just wondering if interior designers have access to higher quality items than you'd see in a storefront store.

We'll be in the market shortly as our current LR furniture is being ripped to shreds by outdoor cats having to stay indoors...so keep us posted!
Could you share the name of your designer? We are relocating to Chapel Hill, and I will need all the help I can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary