Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 AM

286 posts, read 685,512 times

Advertisements

I am getting married in January and the caterer that I really want and have worked with before is not available. We have an appointment at 1705 Prime Friday to discuss using their space for the reception and am hoping to get some feedback from others about their experience there. Also, has anyone used their catering for off-site venues? It's Rocky Top Hospitality and while I'm not wildly crazy about them, they seem to be the best option so far cost wise. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
When I was looking for venues for my wedding (April '10) I checked them out and they were at the top of my list, but because I was looking for somewhere I could do the ceremony and reception at the same place, it didn't work out.
The only 2 options for the ceremony were to either a) have it out in front of their building which I found pretty but though it's set back somewhat, it's still on a pretty busy corner and I didn't want that kind of atmostphere during the ceremony or b) have it in the same room as the reception, but have to have a "turnover" time or have everyone watch the ceremony from large round reception tables which I wasn't keen on either. Even with all that, I still found the space just a smidgin too small all around.

However, all that said, I was definitely impressed with their reception space and their willingness to work with me in that I wanted a somewhat unusual menu. Their food (I did a tasting) is great too. So I think depending on the size of your wedding they might be a good spot. It's easy to find, has a nice separate bar area (if that's something you want) and their prices seemed about inline with what'd I'd seen elsewhere.

Hope that helps some. Good luck and congrats

Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM

351 posts, read 770,451 times
I was at a wedding at 1705 last summer and thoroughly enjoyed everything -- food, drinks, service, and venue

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM

413 posts, read 878,085 times
You might want to go to theknot.com or other wedding sites for reviews from local
brides.

Good luck in your marriage.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
while our wedding reception was not at the 1705 prime building, i do have a couple of things to say that may be relevant:

(1) when we were looking for reception venues in 2007 for our wedding, we met with a rocky top hospitality person at the now-defunct red room lounge downtown. i was not impressed with the food offered, the prices offered, or the service from the catering manager. take that as you will since that was in 2007.

(2) two years earlier (in 2005) we attended a wedding reception at the 1705 prime location when it was michael dean's. i'm assuming that they upfitted differently when 1705 prime moved in so this may be outdated information that someone else can speak to. at any rate, the location was lovely but the seating was a bit odd & the bride was not particularly happy with how seating went down (they had a buffet & then people sat at tables -- at that time it was a restaurant location & had some booths + tables which the bride obviously saw when selecting the location but was told that the tables would be pushed together for larger groups, etc. -- that did not happen & she was frustrated.) i recall the food being good but again that 6 years ago.

i hope someone can chime in with more current information but did want to share that bit with you. as long as you meet with their catering agents & feel comfortable with the food/pricing/expectations & do your vetting with checking feedback from others (the previously-mentioned knot boards are great for that), then you should be better able to make a decision.

best of luck to you.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,212 times
I'm a DJ and I've done a few Bat Mitzvah's at 1705 Prime. What I don't like about the space is the separation. Depending on your guest list, you might not fit everyone into that first room (where the dance floor is) and then you have a separation of guests which is a bit awkward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary