Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times

Advertisements

We went to Lake Jordan last weekend to go camping. I tried to figure out as much information in advance from the Internet. Here's the low-down for anyone who may want to go in the future. There are basically three main car-camping campgrounds - Parker's Creek, Crosswinds, and Poplar Point. Poplar Point is the biggest. Crosswinds is the smallest. Both of those take reservations. Parker's Creek, the mid-sized campground is apparently the original campground and is done via walk-in reservation only.

There are over 1,000 sites among the three campgounds. All three of them have electric or non-electric options. One of the campgrounds is open year-round, while the other two are open during the summer and closed for renovations during the off-season. The one that is open rotates every year. Campsites are $25 for electric and $20 without electric. The ones without electric are along the lake, and the ones with are in the interior, but still with nice views of the lake.

We stayed at Parker's Creek in an electric site. Parker's Creek has 4 loops. There is a beach and a boat dock. There is a short 1/2 mile hiking trail, as well as a trail to the beach from the campgounds. The boat dock is past loop 4, but you can put in smaller boats at various points in the lake from the camping loops.

Each loop had a host family stayng there who can help with problems or give you information. Our host family was very nice and informative.

We brought our canoe, but there were also motor boats, people waterskiing, jet skis, and people rafting on the lake.

The hike to the beach was about 3/4 miles from the campground through a marked trail through the woods.

The beach had very little sand on it - must have washed away. It was mostly packed dirt.

The water was murky, but a pleasant temperature. There were lots of people swimming in the lake, but I was a bit apprehensive about my kids going underwater. I did, however, find the beach to have a bit too much litter on it, and the bathrooms were not too clean. But the ones by the campground were good.

The beach had a shelter that can be reserved.

It also had a playground and some basketball courts.

We also stopped at the main vistor's center for the park, where they had a nice interactive exhibit about the area's history and geology. We spent about 45 minutes there and couldn't get my kids to leave as they were having fun pressing buttons to make the map light up, touching the beaver tail, etc.

Overall, we had a great weekend without traveling too far. The beach is in no way a substitute for an ocean beach, but I could see it being fun for a day trip if you are not a germaphobe.

Last edited by michgc; 07-20-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:18 PM

448 posts, read 851,392 times
Thanks for the review. We are new here and interested in finding camping sites. Was it very hot there? We have done desert camping before when we lived in AZ. Summer camping, we typically went up to the mountains though. Desert campgrounds in AZ, tended to be pretty empty this time of year.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Thanks for the review. We are new here and interested in finding camping sites. Was it very hot there? We have done desert camping before when we lived in AZ. Summer camping, we typically went up to the mountains though. Desert campgrounds in AZ, tended to be pretty empty this time of year.
It actually wasn't too bad, although, we do have an air-conditioned pop-up trailer. It wasn't too crowded there - I'd say half of the campgrounds in our loop were taken. I talked to the hosts about it, and they said holiday weekends they are booked solid - Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day. Other weekends there is always space. It wasn't oppresively hot last weekend, but I certainly wouldn't want to go on a 100-degree day. I imagine it's lovely in the fall.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

448 posts, read 851,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It actually wasn't too bad, although, we do have an air-conditioned pop-up trailer. It wasn't too crowded there - I'd say half of the campgrounds in our loop were taken. I talked to the hosts about it, and they said holiday weekends they are booked solid - Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day. Other weekends there is always space. It wasn't oppresively hot last weekend, but I certainly wouldn't want to go on a 100-degree day. I imagine it's lovely in the fall.
That is next on our list (pop up trailer) right now we tent it, so I don't think I would camp there in summer. I agree, fall is probably a very nice time to camp. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,661 times
Great review, thanks!! We were going to camp there recently but decided to move elsewhere since we had several friends with us and I was concerned we may not get joining sites with no reservations. I wound up getting a group site at Rolling View at Falls Lake which was wonderful. We are also tent campers so no more camping for us until fall!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,195 times
We have swam in Jordan Lake many times(and kayaked) and are still alive and have not grown 2 heads(yet). But we are from Jersey so swimming in "questionable" waters is second nature to us..LOL..so maybe we are immune.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
We have swam in Jordan Lake many times(and kayaked) and are still alive and have not grown 2 heads(yet). But we are from Jersey so swimming in "questionable" waters is second nature to us..LOL..so maybe we are immune.
I'm sure it was fine. I'm just not used to lake swimming and I was actually just reading about the woman in Georgia who got the flesh-eating bacteria disease from dirty water, and I let my mind run wild. I let my kids go in, but not under - especially since my 5-year old tends to swallow water. Bleh!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Wow this was super helpful! It's a shame they don't take reservations at this site though.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Reservations are rarely needed; I've camped at Jordan lake in all 4 seasons; never made a reservation and we've always gotten a prime spot (which for me are the ones on the water)

Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
OP, and other newcomers: It is Jordan Lake, not Lake Jordan. The rule of naming (smaller lakes) is if the name is A-K then put the name before 'Lake'. If M-Z, put the name after 'Lake'. Jordan Lake, Lake Norman. End of advertisement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary