Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times

Advertisements

We moved to Raleigh in 98 from central IL, but my mom's family is from Chicago and I went to HS about an hour away from downtown. So while I've never lived in the city, I'm very familiar with Chicago and life in northern IL in general.

We love it here in Raleigh, its much more affordable than Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. There are a few things that are hard to get used to, still after being here for 8 years.

1) There is no Chicago style pizza. We have an Uno's but its one of the chain Uno's and its just not the same. That is the only place where you can find deep dish pizza. If its not Domino's, Pizza Hut or Papa John's, its mostly NY style pizza which just s*cks, imo. The best pizza in town is Lilly's in Five Points but its not the same as back home. In fact, pizza is the only thing that I reaaalllly miss from back home.

2) Not as many places that deliver, especially in the 'suburbs' and far North Raleigh. We lived in a college town back in IL and I was used to having tons of restaurants that delivered. Not so much here, at least where I'm at. And the ones that do deliver close really early. I was used to being able to get pizza delivery until midnight on the weekdays and 2am on the weekends but its 10pm on weekdays.

3) Raleigh isn't a great college town--nothing like Champaign or even Bloomington/Normal in terms of cool shops and restaurants near campus. Chapel Hill is lame compared to other college towns too.

4) We did finally get a Crate & Barrel a few years ago which is awesome. Obviously not as big of a selection as Chicago area stores but its nice nonetheless.

5) Ethnicities as I knew them in the north are pretty non-existent down here. Just the nature of the history of the south. When you ask a southerner what they are, they say "Southern". Not Polish, Irish, Italian, German, etc. Just southern. There aren't enclaves of different ethnicities like there are in other cities.

6) Hard liquor can only be bought in state run liquor stores and lots of restaurants don't have liquor licenses or only have beer/wine licenses.

That's all I can think of right now. We really do love Raleigh, but we're in the kid mode right now. We're on a cul-de-sac out in North Raleigh on a street full of other families with kids. Its affordable, we have a decent sized yard and lots of friendly neighbors. Like somebody else said, you'll love Raleigh and Raleigh will love you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 PM

137 posts, read 607,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
3) Raleigh isn't a great college town--nothing like Champaign or even Bloomington/Normal in terms of cool shops and restaurants near campus. Chapel Hill is lame compared to other college towns too.
Not trying to appear criticizing here - but what makes for a great college town? I kinda think Chapel Hill is pretty much what you would consider a textbook college town. As far as Raleigh - I'll agree with you there. NCSU is a big part of Raleigh - but it's not that it IS Raleigh, if that makes sense. I've been to midwestern college towns like Ann Arbor (Michigan), Muncie (Ball State), Bloomington/Normal (Illinois State) and LaFayette (Purdue) and I never really got a big impression that they had a better "college" aura about them - with the exception of Ann Arbor, but I'm guessing that the enrollment at Michigan is a lot bigger than it is at UNC.

Agreed on some of the other points as well - I'm a midwestern transplant, so having been to Chicago more times than I can count, having a Crate & Barrel is a MAJOR bonus to me (although it pales in comparison to the flagship store in Chicago... ) but to understand what Raleigh is, is to know what it was - compare it today to what it was 20, even 10 years ago. I once read what the 1980 population was - something like 150,000? The good news is that bigger and better things are still to come, as gorwth continues - and yes - maybe that even means deep dish Chicago pizza.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmk View Post
Not trying to appear criticizing here - but what makes for a great college town? I kinda think Chapel Hill is pretty much what you would consider a textbook college town. As far as Raleigh - I'll agree with you there. NCSU is a big part of Raleigh - but it's not that it IS Raleigh, if that makes sense. I've been to midwestern college towns like Ann Arbor (Michigan), Muncie (Ball State), Bloomington/Normal (Illinois State) and LaFayette (Purdue) and I never really got a big impression that they had a better "college" aura about them - with the exception of Ann Arbor, but I'm guessing that the enrollment at Michigan is a lot bigger than it is at UNC.

Agreed on some of the other points as well - I'm a midwestern transplant, so having been to Chicago more times than I can count, having a Crate & Barrel is a MAJOR bonus to me (although it pales in comparison to the flagship store in Chicago... ) but to understand what Raleigh is, is to know what it was - compare it today to what it was 20, even 10 years ago. I once read what the 1980 population was - something like 150,000? The good news is that bigger and better things are still to come, as gorwth continues - and yes - maybe that even means deep dish Chicago pizza.

Great post! Here is a link to a list of the population by year of the city of Raleigh.....this doesn't even include all the growth of the subburbs.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication...Since_1800.pdf

1980 = 150,225
1990 = 212,092
2000 = 276,093
2006 = 353,064

Hell's bells....the city has grown A LOT!! It's more then doubled in less than 26 years!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:35 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
It could be a sign of the times and maybe this has happened in other towns as well, but Franklin St is so full of chain stores and restaurants that it doesn't seem like much of a funky college town atmosphere. I'd rather hang out in Madison than Chapel Hill if I were a college student.

There are neat restaurants in Chapel Hill but they are more adult places in my mind. Too expensive for college students--wine bars and nice restaurants. Peppers pizza and the movie theater are neat but not enough head shops and the like, lol.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM

22 posts, read 32,040 times
Check out Wake Forest. Great small town feel but so many things offered like great sized homes in great price ranges with land, close to shopping such as Harris Teeter, Walmart, Blockbuster, Wakefield Movie Complex, only about 8 minutes to the Mall and about 25 minutes to 30 minutes to downtown. If you like the outdoors you will love the lake access which is about 5 minutes from Wake Forest. When are you planning on coming to Raleigh to check out the areas? I'm from Iowa orginally, went to Chicago often, you will both love it here, the whether is a lot more mild with just as many things to see and do. Get in touch with a realtor before you come here to get a relocation packet that will contain tons of info on all the different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary