Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Michigan and I'm considering moving to Raleigh or any part of the triangle for job opportunities. Let me give a little background. I'm married with two daughters, 16 and 20. I have a bachelors degree in accounting and my husband is a general contractor. I would love to stay in an area near nice restaurants, close to shopping districts. I'm considering renting under $1000 a month until I get a feel of things. I would also consider cookie cutter housing; duplexes, but in a clean safe environment. Hopefully, around working professionals. My questions are:

1. What city has better opportunities in the accounting field?
2. What's the best cities to move to with a good highschool for my 16 year old?
3. What's the price ranges of the duplexes or cookie cutter housing? Locations would be helpful.
4. Any info regarding opportunites for a general contractor.

Please feel free to give any advice or explain any obstacles you see that relates to my transition.

Thanks A Bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I would strongly recommend not moving here until you have a job lined up. The job market is not good for anyone. In accounting I could see you finding jobs anywhere in the area, but I would imagine downtown Raleigh and maybe RTP as options. BTW, RTP (Research Triangle Park) is an office park, most people call this area the Triangle. I don't have kids but lots of people like the Cary schools. Chapel Hill also is known for their schools. I don't know housing prices but I know we have several realtors on the board who could advise you. Jobs for general contractors are probably not very good. Again, I'd suggest finding a job first.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
OP?

Your question is rather like throwing a dart at a very large dart board.

Grab an online map, navigate over to some job-hunting sites, and see who has jobs listed for accountants.

General contractors might be trickier to employ. Housing has picked up around here, but I'd have to doubt that anyone would hire a GC from out of state. Maybe if you found a job here first and you could all live off your salary, your husband might get to know some builders around here and find an in-route to a job that way.

There are good schools and good neighborhoods aplenty here. Get the job lined up. The rest will follow.

If you all plan to move minus jobs (on savings or some other funds), you'll still want to determine where most accounting jobs seem to be located, so you can rent in a strategically-located area to try and keep your commute down.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
You've received some great advice akready, but I have a thought. Does the 16 year old daughter want to leave her high school THIS close to graduation?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM

You have a valid point, but I've been unemployed for over a year and if I can't find employment soon we'll be homeless. Just kidding! She has the option to stay with my mom, but it'll be her choice. I've heard from many friends and a few family members that North Carolina has lots of accounting opportunities. I love Charlotte and Raleigh from my visits to both just weighing my options. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM

208 posts, read 415,056 times
I assume based on your screen name you are from SE Michigan....where at? I am originally from Dearborn Heights.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 PM

How about that. I'm from Detroit, born and raised. Maybe you could give me some insight on your transition. Where do you live now and for how long?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM

208 posts, read 415,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc313 View Post
How about that. I'm from Detroit, born and raised. Maybe you could give me some insight on your transition. Where do you live now and for how long?
Yeah, small world. I can't really give too much insight into the area as I moved down here less than 3 weeks ago. I work at Merck, in Durham, and am currently living in Cary while my house is being built. Cary is a really nice place but the drive to work is like 27 miles each way....plus the new toll on 540. :-/

So far, in my short time down here, I really like the area. It doesn't have the cool old architecture that you see in downtown Detroit but you also won't get shot/stabbed/mugged on your evening walks. Overall it seems like a real breath of fresh air compared to Detroit.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc313 View Post
I've heard from many friends and a few family members that North Carolina has lots of accounting opportunities. I love Charlotte and Raleigh from my visits to both just weighing my options. Thanks!
Then I would investigate these opportunites you've heard about. Once you snag something, it's easier to look for somewhere to live by proximity to work. moving somewhere "because somebody said there are jobs there" without more specifics is generally not wise, in this economy. NC's unemployment is among the very highest in the US, in part because oso many are moving here looking for that "Pot o Gold" that "a friend of a friend of a friend" told them awaited the minute they crossed the NC border.

Chapel Hill has the best schools but also the highest cost of living (no, that's not coincidence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary