Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times

Advertisements

Hamptons at Umstead come to mind, but more suburban and not walkable like ITB or Meredith Woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hamptons at Umstead come to mind, but more suburban and not walkable like ITB or Meredith Woods.
That neighborhood (while it has great local builders) seems so desolate to me.

What about Whitaker Park? Is it all built up?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That neighborhood (while it has great local builders) seems so desolate to me.
Ya miss the stables?

Quote:
What about Whitaker Park? Is it all built up?
The real stumbling block for the OP is the 1/3 acre+ lot, which is very hard to find or very expensive. A half acre lot? If it is nice, it is likely to be subdivided.

If you look at MLS, nothing has sold in Whitaker Park in 12 years....
That is a fun area, where agents sometimes pull subdivisions and neighborhoods by whatever names they want.
Most lots have a 50 foot width, and I suspect the OP would like a wider lot.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 AM

98 posts, read 216,120 times
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll check out these areas too. I got lost last week and wound up around North Hills which seemed ok too - I like sidewalks. Coming from an area where I've commuted an hour each way for 5 years, living ITB and driving 7 minutes to work and school where we are renting now is a dream! Really we are flexible but I just can't do 8 foot ceilings and don't want to have necessary living space in a basement. And of course there are the schools... before we commit to anything we'll wait to see what shakes out this year on that front.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Laurel Hills would provide some good lots for the syle of home being discussed. The lots would be in the $200K range for an acre+, and there's some subdivision of lots on the north arc of Laurel Hills Rd.

Where is Whitaker Park?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Laurel Hills would provide some good lots for the syle of home being discussed. The lots would be in the $200K range for an acre+, and there's some subdivision of lots on the north arc of Laurel Hills Rd.

Where is Whitaker Park?
Whitaker Park?
Jimmy Hoffa took it...

NW of Hi-Mount
http://services.wakegov.com/realesta...pin=1705811290

Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,251 times
It's really important to remember that when you buy a house for the sole purpose of tearing it down and creating 60 tons of waste in the landfill that you emphasize the re-build as using "green materials". Because the use of bamboo floors is really important when you've sent a completely rehab-able home (that has 2000 square feet of salvageable hardwoods, along with a lot of other salvageable materials) to the dump.

/counts down the minutes until this comment is deleted

Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
It's really important to remember that when you buy a house for the sole purpose of tearing it down and creating 60 tons of waste in the landfill that you emphasize the re-build as using "green materials". Because the use of bamboo floors is really important when you've sent a completely rehab-able home (that has 2000 square feet of salvageable hardwoods, along with a lot of other salvageable materials) to the dump.

/counts down the minutes until this comment is deleted
I don't think I misread the OP's post, and I think the purpose was to build a modern house in place of a functionally or conditionally obsolete house.
You don't have to visit many 50 year old homes to find a few that are not practical to salvage.
To the OP's credit, "tearing down/donating the house" appears to be a nod towards reasonable stewardship. Habitat Deconstruction came to mind immediately.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Many years ago, I lived in Whitaker Park apartments. The trees were amazing out there.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Many years ago, I lived in Whitaker Park apartments. The trees were amazing out there.
I hope the residents of Fallon Park, The Oaks at Fallon Park, aka Whitaker Park, appreciate the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary