Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestyBass View Post
It's at the theatre like quarter mile from the amtrak station.

I was just going to get off the train and walk over there and maybe grab a beer during the show if they sell them. (never been there before)
There are 2 theaters within walking distance. The Carolina Theater and the Durham Performing Arts Center(DPAC). Both places sell beer.

The trains DO NOT stop at the same station as the buses. But they are across the train tracks from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
wherever you are going in downtown it's all pretty much within walking distance. Whether you take the train or bus. Whether you are going to the DPAC, Carolina Theater, or any of the smaller venues in town, you won't have a problem walking there.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM

191 posts, read 275,853 times
I worked in Durham for years... I like the place but wouldn't walk around DT in the wee hours (and I'm 6'4" 223 lbs 9% body fat plus grew up in Cleveland; lived in LA, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Dallas, SF, San Diego) unless necessary. The Durham cops are better than most (esp. Raleigh and prolly better than Charlotte/Mecklenburg actually from my experience), but still I personally wouldn't risk it unless you're very seasoned and REALLY want to see that concert ;-)... just IMHO.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
But the Train has food on it...good food....Buses lately have a tendency to crash into bridges and drive off the highway...

eggs and sausage by jeremy!, on Flickr

Amtrak Crescent NYC - New Orleansポークリブ、ベークトポテト、インゲン by lulun & kame, on Flickr

Amtrak Crescent NYC - New Orleans クラブケーキ、マッシュポテト、インゲン by lulun & kame, on Flickr

quesadilla, bacon by calamity_hane, on Flickr

steak by calamity_hane, on Flickr

french toast, pork sausage by calamity_hane, on Flickr

Thanksgiving dinner by willquale, on Flickr

Thai curry chicken by willquale, on Flickr

Key lime pie by willquale, on Flickr

DSC_0392 by Mikwu, on Flickr

Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
I worked in Durham for years... I like the place but wouldn't walk around DT in the wee hours (and I'm 6'4" 223 lbs 9% body fat plus grew up in Cleveland; lived in LA, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Dallas, SF, San Diego) unless necessary. The Durham cops are better than most (esp. Raleigh and prolly better than Charlotte/Mecklenburg actually from my experience), but still I personally wouldn't risk it unless you're very seasoned and REALLY want to see that concert ;-)... just IMHO.
How long ago did you feel this way? If you go out now (or any time in the past 3 years) you'll notice lots of people hanging around downtown at night, especially on weekends. I feel completely safe here at night, and I know lots of folks that do so as well.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
^ @ Nexis

The trains that go from Charlotte to Raleigh don't have those. I take Amtrak from Greensboro to Cary or Raleigh, and all they have is coffee and vending machine snacks....

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
The only Amtrak trains stopping in North Carolina that have a full diner are the Crescent (NY-Greensboro-Charlotte-Atlanta-New Orleans), the Silver Star (NY-Raleigh-Florida), and the Silver Meteor (NY-Rocky Mount-Florida). The Crescent and the Silver Meteor pass through NC in the middle of the night in both directions. The Carolinian (Charlotte-Raleigh-NY) and the Palmetto (Jacksonville-Rocky Mount-NY) have light meal service -- hot dogs, etc. The Piedmont trains that operate Charlotte-Raleigh only have what Marissy describes.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I wasn't aware of that , I thought all Trains outside the Northeast service a Dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary