Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 49,401 times

Advertisements

I have found a couple of homes in that area that I may be interested in, but it is further east than areas I am familiar with. Can anyone tell me about the area? Is it good/bad, traffic or crime issues, etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Where specifically in Knightdale are you looking at? Where specifically would you need to be traveling to or from on a regular basis (to gauge traffic issues)? In general, Knightdale is a really nice place, a terrific place to live, and offers excellent value for the money. Historically, Knightdale and the other eastern suburban parts of the Raleigh area have been a lot less upscale and a lot more working-class than the parts to the north or west, and that can be good or bad depending on your preferences and what you're looking for. Personally, I would much prefer to live in Knightdale than in one of the McMansion nightmares in western Cary or up near Falls Lake, for example, but clearly many people disagree, and different strokes for different folks. That pattern has actually begun changing somewhat in the past ten years or so, and there's a lot more more-upscale development in the Knightdale area than there used to be. But it's still decidedly less swanky than northern, western, or parts of southern Wake County. Again, that cuts both ways.

For a long time, traffic made commuting between Knightdale and downtown Raleigh, North Raleigh, or the RTP area a major hassle, but since the US-64 Bypass and the northeastern section of I-540 opened about five years ago, it's a lot better, and now generally no more of a problem there than in Raleigh's other outer suburbs. Due to being less upscale, crime of some kinds is a bit more common in Knightdale than in some of the other suburbs, but still not bad, and certainly not significant enough to be a reason to not move there. Overall, I think Knightdale's a great place, and may suit you well if you're looking for an affordable, comfortable-but-not-too-fancy suburban environment.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
A relative just built a gorgeous house in Knightdale -- further west. We went there last week for a party, and the house, new neighborhood, and the entire area was beautiful.

You can monitor crime here: Knightdale, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Knightdale - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

A lot of the times, the icons indicate misdemeanors, which you'll find anywhere...even Cary! http://www.spotcrime.com/nc/cary

Old 09-01-2012, 03:20 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
A relative just built a gorgeous house in Knightdale -- further west. We went there last week for a party, and the house, new neighborhood, and the entire area was beautiful.
"further west" of Knightdale? Do you mean on the west side of Knightdale, or the east side of Raleigh, or somewhere in between? Coincidentally, I just recently visited a friend's new house and was similarly impressed by its neighborhood. It was a neighborhood that I hadn't been to before, a fairly new subdivision (less than 5 years old) off of New Hope Road between Poole Road and Rock Quarry Road. That's not within the city limits of either Raleigh or Knightdale, although it has (I believe) a Raleigh ZIP code. But it's in between Raleigh and Knightdale, so these people work in Raleigh but do a lot of their day-to-day shopping and such at the Knightdale big box stores. This wasn't a custom-built house, just a relatively inexpensive tract house, but nice, and good value for the money. In any case, it's definitely an unheralded and underrated part of the Raleigh area where there are good deals to be had on housing, depending on what one is looking for.

Last edited by tompope; 09-01-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
We play golf in Knightdale and the area where the golf courses are are pretty rural..cows, sheeps, rolling hills etc. But within 5 minutes you are on a 2 lane highway with big-box stores and chain restaurants.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
My son just bought in Knightdale.

Services seem to be increasing and crime is under control.

Seems OK but most roads are unlighted which takes it off my list.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM

99 posts, read 181,808 times
We used to drive thru there from time to time when my daughter was playing high school and travel softball. Knightdale HS area looks very nice.

I have worked on a few homes just north of I-540 off HW 64 and the older established neighborhoods look like any other neighborhood, but some of the newer (built 2007) neighborhoods looked really dumpy. Nasty looking lawns, cars parked in the front yards, it was phenomenal. Be horrible for a resale.

Best advice is drive thru the neighborhoods and check them out. Very affordable homes. Wake Forest might be an option if you're going out that far, or the Durant Trails neighborhoods near Falls River, North of I-540 in North Raleigh.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

You can monitor crime here: Knightdale, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Knightdale - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

A lot of the times, the icons indicate misdemeanors, which you'll find anywhere...even Cary! Cary, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Cary - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Sorry, I meant they built a house in east Knightdale.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM

63 posts, read 137,052 times
Default Wendell - East of Knightdale

We bought a nice home in Wendell at the end of February and we like it here. We're in Wake County
and we shop frequently in Knightdale ... plenty of stores and supermarkets, etc. We are only about
25 minutes from Triangle Mall in Raleigh ... my wife is addicted to Macy*s !

We looked at some very nice homes in Knightdale; but, found the right home for us in Wendell.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Knightdale has grown up significantly in the last decade. It's a great place to live, especially if you stay near 64 Business. The bypass and 540 have caused some huge growth in retail and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary