Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM

326 posts, read 682,095 times

Advertisements

Are there any that are more so "middle of the road" in terms of tuition but still a reputable school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Why do you want a private school? Just looking for something smaller? Chapel Hill/Carrboro city schools are generally regarded as the best performing public school system in the state. The CHCCS always have the best performance on the SAT in the state.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - Homepage

For private schools in the area you might check the other recent threads on that subject. I know many folks who have their kids at Carolina Friends and really like it, but there are a wide variety of choices for private schools ranging from Catholic and other religious schools (Jewish, evangelical Christian) to Waldorf. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM

326 posts, read 682,095 times
Great, thanks for the information!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 PM

381 posts, read 1,326,101 times
The Green Hope school district in Cary also performs very well, and there are other excellent local public schools (I happen to live in the Green Hope district, so I am more familiar with it).

Raleigh Charter School is nearby in d/t Raleigh and gets rave reviews.

Cedar Ridge is a well-regarded charter school in Hillsborough.

There are some really excellent local public schools, and I encourage folks to take a long look at them before going private. Despite that, we home schooled our kids until recently and then ended up enrolling them in a local private school. Our priorities were academic environment, collegial atmosphere, class size, school size, extra-curricular opportunities, proximity (we live in Cary), and cost. We had a preference for a faith-based atmosphere, but that was not as high a priority. In the end, we chose GRACE Christian School on Buck Jones Road, and both our kids have really loved it. Our daughter began last year as a high school freshman, and our son started this year in 8th grade. Tuition is very reasonable compared to most other local private schools with similar academic profiles, and the atmosphere (strong academics, positive student environment, and teacher interaction) has been wonderful. It has been a tremendous fit for us.

I hope you find the best fit for your kids!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,790 times
[quote=Mikeheel;26164004] Cedar Ridge is a well-regarded charter school in Hillsborough. quote]

Mikeheel, I know you are more familiar with the Wake Co schools but just to set the record straight and avoid confusion, Cedar Ridge is NOT a charter school. It is part of the Orange County School District. You are right, it is a good school, as are the ones you also mentioned. CRHS has an IB program. The only one in Orange County.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM

381 posts, read 1,326,101 times
My apologies; thanks for the correction. I don't know why I had it in my head that Cedar Ridge was a charter school. The IB program there is pretty strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary