Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

I just had my 1st interview for a job in Burlington NC and have a couple questions regarding moving to the area. I understand that one interview does not mean that I will get a job out there but if I do become employed I will only have 3 weeks until they will expect me out there to start so I am doing research now so I am prepared.

I believe the commute to a job in Burlington is do-able if I live in Hillsborough or Mebane, please correct me if I am wrong. If there are other areas that are nice please suggest....

I am a single mother, to a 10 year old girl, moving from rural California. My questions are:

1.) Are the two areas, Hillsborough and Mebane nice areas to raise children?

2.) What schools are good in the area? Are there good after-school programs that my daughter can go to int he area that you recommend?

3.) What neighborhoods are good to live in?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Yes, those towns are commutable to Burlington, and Yes, schools are good in both. If you could afford to live in Chapel Hill or Carrboro, those are considered the very best schools in NC, but the cost of living is also the highest in the state in Chapel Hill. Hillsborough may be more expensive than Mebane. But I have a friend who is very conscious of education (she has two Master's degrees) and her daughter goes to Yoder Elementary in Mebane and they love it.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My husband works in Burlington. We live in Chapel Hill which is probably on the long side for a commute (32 miles - 45 minutes) around here. Hillsborough would likely be 15 minutes closer - probably a 30-minute commute. Mebane would be even closer. Most of the people who work in my husband's office live in Burlington itself.

If you want "the best" schools, then Chapel Hill/Carrboro is your answer, but you'll have the longest commute. If you want decent schools then I think Hillsborough schools are adequate. I like Hillsborough - the town - a lot. It's quaint with a nice, historic, walkable downtown. Mebane crosses county lines, so the schools are different depending on whether you are in Alamance County or Orange County. I don't know much about them. Overall, I don't think the area is as nice as Hillsborough. Burlington's schools don't appear to be that great.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Hillsborough is Orange County schools, so the Orange County part of Mebane would be in the same system. I'd guess a Orange county Mebane address would probably go to Efland-Cheeks Elementary or Gravelly Hill Elementary. The Alamance County part of Mebane (the larger part) would be in the Alamance-Burlington School System. I think Mebane is supposed to have a pretty cute downtown, but I haven't been in a long time. I know several families from the Burlington, Graham and Mebane areas whose older kids attend the Hawbridge School (charter) which goes from 6th-12th.

If you really like rural you might like to check out Saxapahaw a tiny mill village which has undergone an amazing resurgence in recent years. That's where the Hawbridge School is located as well as the Saxapahaw General Store, the Haw River Ballroom, the lovely Saturdays in Saxapahaw farmer's market festival in the summer, and a few other gems, too. Google maps gives it 30 minutes to Burlington from Saxy, but I bet it's really more like 20, depending on where exactly in Burlington you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary