Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

A zoo/aquarium partnership between the Ncsu vet school and the natural sciences museum downtown would be a novel idea!

Crabtree creek doesn't go through downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
An aquarium inland? A zoo in Raleigh when there is a spacious one an hour away that treats the animals more humanely than most zoos? The animals there have land that mimics their natural habitat.

I say thumbs down to both of these ideas!
The zoo is 1.5 hours away from Raleigh and too big.

Raleigh is the only place in the world that people define as a "great place to live," and then you ask what there is to do there, and people say, "The mountains are only two hours away! The ocean is only two hours away! And "The zoo is only 1.5 hours away!"

None of those things are in the Triangle.

So what people are really saying is, "Living in Raleigh is great -- when you leave it."

Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
My daily living doesn't require a trip to the zoo. It requires employment with a decent commute, a variety of shopping nearby, good schools, plenty of dining out options and a town with a nice Park & Rec dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The zoo is 1.5 hours away from Raleigh and too big.

Raleigh is the only place in the world that people define as a "great place to live," and then you ask what there is to do there, and people say, "The mountains are only two hours away! The ocean is only two hours away! And "The zoo is only 1.5 hours away!"

None of those things are in the Triangle.

So what people are really saying is, "Living in Raleigh is great -- when you leave it."

Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The NC Zoo is only about an hour drive from Raleigh. A zoo IN Raleigh would be small. But I like the idea of an aquarium. Having all 3 at the coast seems a little like overkill to me. I've been to all 3 aquariums, but admittedly, haven't been to the one at PKS in a LONG time. Last time I was there it was small and junky. I assume it got renovations like the other two did in recent years?
It did. We went out there last year and it's really nice. I think they have penguins now, too.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think they have penguins now, too.
Good to know they are working to preserve the much-threatened North Carolina penguin species.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 AM

haha yeah I was scratching my head when I saw they were building a penguin exhibit. I'd rather see them use that money on the overall well-being of the aquariums than importing an exotic species.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Good to know they are working to preserve the much-threatened North Carolina penguin species.
Lol...They don't have penguins. Maybe there was some confusion with the Puffins at the NC Zoo. Anyway...we just went to the Aquarium at PKS and it was amazing. They are huge on sea turtle conservation and have a lot of hands on things to do. Everything there is native to NC and interactive...river otters, gators, etc. They also have a really cool 50,000 Queen Anne's Revenge exhibit and a living shipwreck exhibit.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM

North Carolina Aquariums » Sandy salute to penguins

Apparently it was just a temporary exhibit for the penguins. That makes a lot more sense!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Oh, we just moved here this summer and havent yet had time to explore, but I am sad to read there is NOT a zoo nearby. We went to our old zoo several times a year as it was so close to home. 60-90 minutes?? Bummer! No aquarium close by either??
I dont even know where Asheboro is.
Aw Shucks!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Look on the map, goodbyesnow. It's straight west on 64. Not that far and it's an easy day trip. I wouldn't want to spend much less than a full day there anyway—there's so much to see.

What is the appeal of having an aquarium in Raleigh? I just don't get that. Aquariums belong at the coast to me.

The Museum of Life & Science in Durham has some really nice animal habitats if you're just jonesing to see some critters. It's such a great museum.

We really like the interactive exhibits in the new wing of the the Natural Sciences museum in Raleigh, too. I've never been a huge fan of the old museum, but the new wing is really fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary