Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I don't have any names to offer, but one strategy I have heard for acrimonious divorces is to find a list of the 10 best attorneys in your area so you can "conflict them out". Go seek each one out for an initial consultation (some may offer this service for free), offer enough information to create an attorney-client relationship and then they (the top divorce attorneys in the area) cannot represent your spouse due to conflict of interest.
I've seen that mentioned on TV and always wondered if people really did it or not. As a co worker found a few months ago, most attorneys around here will not even give a phone consultation for free so it also might be pretty expensive at $300 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
You should clarify what county you are in. As friends of mine have learned, you don't want to be using a Wake County attorney in Durham County courts, or vice versa. Relationships with the court count for a lot.
I think it depends. My attorney was outside of county and he was the best attorney. He knew the law, the judges respected him for knowing the law. The other in county lawyer was very vague on the law. The judge ended up agreeing with us on 95% of what we requested when my attorney was outside of the county. I won't be afraid to hire a attorney outside the county. Make sure that attorney is good.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I think it depends. My attorney was outside of county and he was the best attorney. He knew the law, the judges respected him for knowing the law. The other in county lawyer was very vague on the law. The judge ended up agreeing with us on 95% of what we requested when my attorney was outside of the county. I won't be afraid to hire a attorney outside the county. Make sure that attorney is good.
There is some leeway, as some attorneys do practice in more than one county. But the family law bars in each of the major counties in the Triangle tend to be rather tight-knit groups who know each other well. A Durahm County attorney may not know or be known by Wake County attorneys. Most of the work in a divorce happens between the attorneys, not in front of the judge, so it's important for those attorneys to have decent professional relationships.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
I think it is very common for an attorney to work in both Durham and Wake counties. I would think most attorneys who operate in the triangle do this.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've seen that mentioned on TV and always wondered if people really did it or not. As a co worker found a few months ago, most attorneys around here will not even give a phone consultation for free so it also might be pretty expensive at $300 an hour.
Of course 10 or even 100 times that would be chump change compared to what a bad settlement could end up costing you over the years.....

Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
I don't know anyone who has used this service but would be really curious as to how it would work out.

Rosen Online.
Do It Yourself North Carolina Divorce

Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM

83 posts, read 149,661 times
I used Rosen's info along with 100's of other sites to write my own 25 page separation agreement. I used Ellis Family Law out of Durham (FYI Durham courts are faster and it really doesn't matter if its Wake or Durham). My attorney reviewed the separation agreement and had me make edits and then my ex did the same with his attorney. Ellis Family Law actually filed the divorce. Whole process start to finish under $2,000. Was married 10 years, with kids, assets, debts, etc so this wasn't an "easy" divorce to administer, however, since the divorce was not aggressive (not sure I would use the term "amicable") we were able to mediate ourselves. Separation agreements can cost a lot. I recommend each of you starting out with what you think is a reasonable separation agreement then taking it to separate attorneys and then trying to do the negotiating yourselves or have it mediated. Should cut cost, time and pain, provided the circumstances allow for that.

If you are going to litigate and your a woman, look into Ellis Family Law, if your a guy, sorry can't help you there.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM

188 posts, read 1,144,536 times
Another Tharrington-Smith recommendation

Andrea M. Bosquez-Porter - Family Law Attorney

Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM

285 posts, read 493,293 times
My friend used Jill Burton in Durham and felt she was very well represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary