Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 979 times

Advertisements

Hello, Anyone have information on how often trains come by the Capitol Blvd line? I am specifically looking at a home on Georgetown Drive in Raleigh and am wondering about the activity along this line. The home is a few blocks from the train line.

I have spoken with neighbors, etc. some of whom have been there for decades. However, they could just be used to this by now. I'm not overly concerned as I have staked out the area a bunch now, but not yet at night.

CSX, etc. will not give out schedules because they say they A) change and can run anytime and B) after 9-11 this information is not be be issued.

Any information will help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
it's not bad, or at least I should say it was not bad when I lived on Reaves Dr a decade ago

Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,251 times
I live a couple miles away and the sound definitely carries out to me. I don't hear it a lot. Never tried to keep track how many/day but not that many. And I don't think they have a nightly train. More like twice/week, maybe? Will pay more attention now and try to post back!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
After almost 5 years I'm used to it. Mostly the train noise is from the switchyard at the end of Carson, and it's cars being smashed together. This morning I heard a distant whistle around 2:30-3 am (when I got up to.. well, nevermind ). Currently at 7:30 am, I hear what sounds like a car running down the street (but it's from the switchyard). I've also noticed that, I believe the switchyard is closed on Sundays, but reopens Sunday night. Another thing to consider is the traffic coming in and out of this area from the workers at the trainyard and other industrial businesses in the area. It's nothing bad, but slightly more than a normal residential area. That all being said, I love living in this area, and looking back, am glad we didn't let the trains stop us from moving here. If we move away, it won't be because of the trains.

OP, I sent you a DM with more details.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
Two different railroads. The freight yard parallel to Capital, reached at the south end of Carson, is Norfolk Southern. It's moderately busy, but there is almost no freight volume from this yard to the east towards Knightdale. There is occasional talk of commuter trains on that line, but it's a highly speculative discussion and unlikely to increase train volumes in the next 5-10 years.

The line from downtown Raleigh to Wake Forest and beyond is CSX. It currently has two short freight trains on most days, with little probability of increase. However, the CSX line is also earmarked as the future route of the Southeast High Speed Rail project (SEHSR). If SEHSR ever happens -- unlikely in the next 5 years, but 50-50 as time goes by -- the volume of trains on the CSX line will increase tenfold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary