Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,772 times

Advertisements

I'd like to widen my driveway out to accommodate an additional vehicle and wanted to see what companies came recommended for providing good work at a good price. Let me know who you've worked with and what you liked about them.

I'm open to one-person operations, too, as sometimes the work is better than the bigger companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
It's a little more complicated than that.

Concrete companies don't supply labor. You'll need to find someone who is a contractor who will provide the labor and subcontract out the concrete truck.

Alternatively, you could pay the concrete company directly (I've used Thomas in the past, top notch) - probably save a bundle doing so. But you'd have to get the OK from the contractor in order to do that.

Whatever you do, assuming the driveway will be widened by butting up old to new, make sure to tie in the slabs with rebar and use expansion joints. Takes no time with a hammer drill and a proper bit and is extremely easy to do. this will prevent the slabs from moving independently and looking like crap in a couple years.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
I recommend Titan concrete.

http://www.titanconcreteinc.com/

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,157,199 times
Default truth

The truth is you will have a hard time to get a written quote from many concrete companys for a small job, if not even a call back.

I had a project that would be about 3 times as much as yours, called 5 companies, 3 call backs, 1 show up, no quotes.....I gave up on it.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM

285 posts, read 836,785 times
I had this same scenario recently - wanted to extend my back patio and struggled to have someone come out and quote it

After posting on here I had a recommendation for Wingate Construction - Wingate Construction, LLC

Did a good job, was priced reasonably, and were very responsive. Josh Wingate is the man, but he has a partner that he uses for concrete work (Orlando)

Give them a call, I'd be interested to see how they stack up - as I say, I've used them a couple of months ago and have been happy

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary