Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofmaine View Post
Well the most ridiculous thing I learned today...

I am flying Jetblue from Orlando to Raleigh...via NYC. Is that messed up? I am gonna fly north, change planes and fly south. Stupid!
There's many examples of the same illogic. My favorite is this...

Washington National to London Gatwick via RDU is often half the price of
RDU to Gatwick direct. WTF?

More miles, more gas, less cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post

They can sell more seats on a flight from Washington than they can on a flight from RDU. The fewer the passengers, the more they have to charge to make a profit.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post

Airline pricing is based on the competitive situation, not the routing or the costs. There are multiple options for travel DC to London so pricing is competitive. Many of those options are non-stop, and they may even charge less via RDU to be competitive with the non-stop. From RDU, there is only one non-stop so they can charge a premium.

It's the same principle as: if you have two gas stations across the street from each other gas will be cheaper than if this is the only gas station for miles around. Yet a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas.

If one wants to read up on airline issues in general, a FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community is a good board. There is a lengthy discussion of the PIT reductions in service here: PIT reductions official -- email from US - FlyerTalk Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM

29 posts, read 109,264 times
Default From the 'burgh

I'm from PIT and sad to hear the cancellation of non-stop flights. Our family goes back about 3 times per year now. We drive or fly depending on how long we plan to stay in Pitt and how many people in the family are making the trip. The flight is (was) easy. Driving is an all day adventure through WV...glad route 19 is two lanes now!! When I was at VA Tech and driving that route home to Pittsburgh it was only one lane with lots of construction!

GO STEELERS...

Old 10-11-2007, 05:47 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Not from PA. But I'm not thrilled with the lack of non-stop flight from New England to RDU. It's pretty much Jet Blue BOS to RDU or nothing. Since Charlotte is the hub for the area that's the deal. Hoping for better flights someday from Providence, Hartford, and the airports north of NYC.
Are you sure about that? I think both AA and Delta flies to RDU nonstop to BOS.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
They can sell more seats on a flight from Washington than they can on a flight from RDU. The fewer the passengers, the more they have to charge to make a profit.
That RDU to LGW flight is only in operation thanks to GSK's presence in the Triangle and the frequent travel between our RTP and London offices. In fact, GSK underwrites part of that flight for AA and the flight schedule has even been altered to better accomodate GSK meeting schedules.

One great thing about that flight is that since there are often empty seats, frequent flyer tix are pretty easy to come by on that route. I can't complain w/ free flights to London!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:23 AM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
I just read that the never-ending-financially-doomed Us Airways is canceling a number of it non-stop flights out of Pittsburgh, with Raleigh/Durham being one of them.

Great. I move here thinking that I'm just a 58-minute flight home....and now that option goes away. Looks like I'm left with the crazy-curvy drive through WV.....or some flight with connections (that will take twice as long). Of course, Dan Onorato (for those of you who still follow Allegheny County politics) insists that some other carrier will pick up the canceled flights. I sure hope so!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!

I'd be curious to hear from any other ex-PGH'ers about your commute back to the 'Burgh. Do you drive or fly? How often do you make the trip?
First of all, US Airways is not "financially doomed". US Air actually has one of the best margins of any domestic carrier right now. Their Q2 profit margin was #1 among all domestic carriers (see US Airways No. 1 in operating profit margin - The Business Journal of Phoenix:)

Secondly, according to the press release, they are NOT cutting service to RDU from PIT:

"Customers will continue to fly to the most popular destinations from Pittsburgh, including larger East and West Coast business markets such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Washington, D.C., and Raleigh-Durham, and US Airways hubs in Philadelphia, Charlotte, N.C. and Phoenix.

The entire press release can be found here: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...RGHSERVICE.pdf

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Are you sure about that? I think both AA and Delta flies to RDU nonstop to BOS.
OK, they do now but didn't this in July. Maybe they only offer seasonaly or during holidays. I hesitate to get a gift certificate for one of those airlines for my family if they are not offering that service year round. Perhaps I will call those airlines to see what the deal is. I got a Jet Blue gift card for my dad. Lets hope they keep the BOS to RDU flight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary