Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM

135 posts, read 269,165 times

Advertisements

Ok, I may be jumping the gun a bit, but my kids are already talking about the upcoming eggnog season. Without my beloved upstate NY Stewart's stores, I have no clue where to find a quality commercial product around here. Homemade is great, of course, but the kids love the store bought stuff! Stewart's eggnog is a step up from supermarket brands, not as artificial tasting, but still pretty affordable, so that's what I'm looking for. What brands/stores do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
We always buy the boiled custard (basically eggnog before you throw in the booze and spices) and then spice it up ourselves at home. I really hate the taste of the ones that are already spiced since they tend to way overdo it. But it gets harder and harder to find every year! Last year I think the only supermarket I could find it was Food Lion.

That said, last year out of desperation I did try the Maple View Farm eggnog and it was very good! It comes in glass bottles and I found it at Harris Teeter.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,650 times
Whole Foods carries amazing egg nog during the holiday season. If I remember correctly it was about $5-$10 for a glass bottle, and it was organic as well. I can't remember the brand name (small company), but I believe it's made in the New York area. I bought it in the Metro Detroit area, but if I recall they stock it at most Whole Food stores. It was the best egg nog i've ever had. Just pure ingredients and no junk, and super high in calories. The way egg nog should be. You probably won't see any of the small companies making it until we get closer to Thanksgiving. If I can think of the name I will report back.

*edit* I think it's Ronnybrook farms. All of their dairy comes from grass fed cows. If your local whole foods doesn't have it, chances are they can order it for you. It's expensive compared to the larger commercial brands, but you are paying for quality ingredients.

Last edited by Bpobill; 10-31-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Whole Foods carries amazing egg nog during the holiday season. If I remember correctly it was about $5-$10 for a glass bottle, and it was organic as well. I can't remember the brand name (small company), but I believe it's made in the New York area. I bought it in the Metro Detroit area, but if I recall they stock it at most Whole Food stores. It was the best egg nog i've ever had. Just pure ingredients and no junk, and super high in calories. The way egg nog should be. You probably won't see any of the small companies making it until we get closer to Thanksgiving. If I can think of the name I will report back.

*edit* I think it's Ronnybrook farms. All of their dairy comes from grass fed cows. If your local whole foods doesn't have it, chances are they can order it for you. It's expensive compared to the larger commercial brands, but you are paying for quality ingredients.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
We always buy the boiled custard (basically eggnog before you throw in the booze and spices) and then spice it up ourselves at home. I really hate the taste of the ones that are already spiced since they tend to way overdo it. But it gets harder and harder to find every year! Last year I think the only supermarket I could find it was Food Lion.

That said, last year out of desperation I did try the Maple View Farm eggnog and it was very good! It comes in glass bottles and I found it at Harris Teeter.
Do they use real sugar instead of corn syrup? If I remember correctly you care about these things..?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Yep no HFCS in either of the ones I mentioned. With how hit or miss it is to find boiled custard these days though I might just stick with the Maple View Farm eggnog this year.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Maple View eggnog is out now. I just saw it in Harris Teeter yesterday. I am not an eggnog fan, however.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,650 times
Ronnybrook Farm only makes theirs for two months a year. I sent them an email asking for their ingredients because I could not find it on their site. Fingers are crossed there is no junk in it.

Mapleview uses mono and di glycerides in their egg nog according to their site. I don't think enough study has been done on them, but I avoid them in my diet. Companies have been using it in place of hydrogenated oils (trans fat) in processed products. There are many other companies producing egg nog without them, so I don't understand why they need to use them. I know for sure organic valley doesn't have them. Here is a link to their site About Maple View Farm - Dairy Bummer because I love supporting local companies.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Ronnybrook Farm only makes theirs for two months a year. I sent them an email asking for their ingredients because I could not find it on their site. Fingers are crossed there is no junk in it.

Mapleview uses mono and di glycerides in their egg nog according to their site. I don't think enough study has been done on them, but I avoid them in my diet. Companies have been using it in place of hydrogenated oils (trans fat) in processed products. There are many other companies producing egg nog without them, so I don't understand why they need to use them. I know for sure organic valley doesn't have them. Here is a link to their site About Maple View Farm - Dairy Bummer because I love supporting local companies.
Yes, there is nothing organic or natural about Maple View Dairy. Their cattle are all corn-fed and traditionally raised. I think they are missing a huge market niche in this area and it really isn't that hard to switch over to more ethical practices.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Yes, there is nothing organic or natural about Maple View Dairy. Their cattle are all corn-fed and traditionally raised. I think they are missing a huge market niche in this area and it really isn't that hard to switch over to more ethical practices.
I think there's a big difference between Maple View Farm putting their heifers out to pasture and free feeding silage and an industrial operation that force feeds silage only. They also don't claim to be 100% grass-fed, which is good imo because there have been a lot of farms busted over the years for claiming to be 100% grass-fed when in fact they follow similar practices to Maple View Farm. But since there's no real standard for "grass-fed" you can't really bust those other farms for misleading marketing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary