Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 AM

20 posts, read 24,818 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me say that the information on this forum has been very helpful in trying to understand the Wake county school program etc but I'm still wondering about a couple things. I'm going to have a child entering kindergarden next year and am trying to figure out what our prospects will be. It appears they are temporarily going back to the 2011-12 base assignment plan which leaves us at Reedy Creek ES. It appears to not be the greatest so I'm looking at magnets/charters.

Therefore, back in 2011-12 or in general can you submit applications to several magnet schools?

Also, I read on here before that magnet schools preferentially choose students residing in "high-performing" nodes or attending "high-performing schools". Can anyone else confirm that rumor? If this is the case then my chances of getting in look pretty bleak.

Also, any opinions of Reedy Creek ES?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Reedy Creek ES is a fine school with a very caring, intelligent principal.

My daughter went there grades 1-5 and my younger son grades 4-5.

Son also attended Reedy Creek Middle (all 3 years) and my daughter attends there now.

I'm not wild about the principal at RCMS, but I think it's just because his recorded messages are so poorly delivered. He needs better cue cards.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
There is going to be a magnet school fair at SE Raleigh where you can get the scoop from the people that work for WCPSS: http://www.wcpss.net/magnet/pdfs/fairflyer12.pdf

Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 PM

65 posts, read 139,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
There is going to be a magnet school fair at SE Raleigh where you can get the scoop from the people that work for WCPSS: http://www.wcpss.net/magnet/pdfs/fairflyer12.pdf
Yes this ^^^ And I think one of the purposes of magnets is diversification, so not being in a "high performing area" may not matter. We are at a magnet elementary (just moved here and basically lucked out) but I'm already VERY impressed.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM

I can't make it to the fair but I might just give the office a call. Also from what I read, magnet program are generally added to low performing schools which then attract high performing students to balance. Also by admitting students at high performing/crowded schools opens up seats for others. So it would kind of make sense on their end if they admitted these students although it would be unfair.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
How would it be unfair exactly?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM

I just think everybody should have an equal chance of attending the magnet schools or any good public school for that matter but I know that's opening a whole different can of worms. And if they do admit high performing students preferentially, it should clearly stated somewhere and not done on the down low. This is all based on one comment I read but this person insinuated that this practice is infact done under the radar. But I guess this just goes along with their big plan of balancing out all the schools.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
We are in a very low performing base school and did get into a magnet school so it is possible. I was always under the impression that it had more to do with them wanting to keep the reduced price and free lunches at no more than 40% per school so that is why they chose nodes with higher incomes to attend magnet schools.While our immediate area is nice and middle-class, our node as a whole is much lower income.
I did all my research online and applied to the top magnets that appealed to me for my family and got my #1 choice in the second year (applied for 1st grade and did not get anything, did get into Hunter for 2nd grade).

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyMango View Post
I just think everybody should have an equal chance of attending the magnet schools or any good public school for that matter but I know that's opening a whole different can of worms. And if they do admit high performing students preferentially, it should clearly stated somewhere and not done on the down low. This is all based on one comment I read but this person insinuated that this practice is infact done under the radar. But I guess this just goes along with their big plan of balancing out all the schools.
It isn't done on the down low. I don't have the link anymore (it's somewhere on the wcpss website), but they publish the priority list for magnet acceptance. I think #1 was sibling, then high performing nodes. The magnet schools are intended to entice high performing students (in theory from more affluent families) to attend low performing schools (in theory in low income areas).

In my opinion, the pros of this system are that it rewards families who are willing to deal with the inconveniences of attending schools "far" away (longer bus rides, harder to volunteer, harder to get together with friends from school, etc.) and it raises the composite test scores of those schools. The cons are that a lot of families have little to no chance of ever getting accepted to a magnet school because of where they live, and there is a lot of unequity in elective options in the rest of the school system because they are "saved" for the magnet schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary