Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times

Advertisements

Cary is going to have an $80 million bond referendum on the ballot in November.
Read the article.
See the details posted by the town of Cary.

Transportation
  • Walnut Street Pedestrian and Traffic Improvements (US 1 Overpass) - 7,000,000
  • Street Improvements (Resurfacing) - 5,000,000
  • Reduce Congestion Through Intersection Improvements (Based on LOS) - 3,000,000
  • Streetscape Improvements Along South Academy and Dry - 8,000,000
  • Signal System - 2,900,000
  • Sidewalks - 780,000
  • Bike Facilities - 1,000,000
  • Carpenter Fire Station Bridge and Intersection Improvements (No Widening) - 17,000,000
  • Green Level West Road Widening (NC540 to NC55) - 13,000,000
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
  • Carpenter Park - 2,000,000
  • Mills Park - Phase II - 1,070,000
  • Downtown Park (including Farmers Market support facility) - 2,000,000
  • Greenways - White Oak Creek - All Remaining Segments - 3,000,000
  • Panther Branch Greenway (Cameron Pond/540 Segment to Mills Park) - 1,400,000
  • Bartley Park Phase I (Penny Road Park) - 4,400, 000
  • Sports Turf Fields - 2,000,000
Fire
  • Architectural Services - Land Acquisition and Construction - Fire Station #2 - 6,450,000

What do you all think of this?

One of the biggest items is streetscape improvements to Academy and Dry, which is a downtown project which might be controversial with some, but personally I strongly support Cary's efforts at downtown improvements.

Completing the White Oak Creek Greenway is extremely welcome. I ride that trail every day as a part of my commute and filling in the gap between Macarthur and Davis will save me a great deal of time.

I can think of at least one important transportation project I would put as a higher priority that didn't make the cut: NC54 from NW Maynard to Cary Parkway. Although, that's technically supposed to be a NCDOT street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
That downtown park will be great, especially with them building in farmers market support. Where they have the downtown farmers market now is way too small. And I agree that area around Academy and Dry needs help.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
No one really likes a tax increase, but I think I'll be in favor of this one. Capital project budgets have been slashed to nil the past few years, and we need to keep things moving forward. With Cary being as large as it is, obviously some of the projects on the list are more appealing to me than others given where I live and frequent, but it seems like a good mix.

I'm undoubtedly biased by my proximity to downtown, but even if I wasn't so close I'd still support the revitalization efforts there. There's so much potential to turn that into a great place to be. Great strides have been made with the arts center and now work on the theater underway, but there's so much more in the works and I'd love to see it come to fruition.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times
I'm surprised by the costs of some of the things in relation to others. For instance, why does the Carpenter Fire Station bridge cost $17,000,000? and if they're talking about the bridge over 540, wouldn't that be funded by the NCDOT?

Selfishly, I'd like to see the Morrisville Parkway extension on there (from Hwy 55 to Green Level Church Rd.).

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I'm surprised by the costs of some of the things in relation to others. For instance, why does the Carpenter Fire Station bridge cost $17,000,000? and if they're talking about the bridge over 540, wouldn't that be funded by the NCDOT?

Selfishly, I'd like to see the Morrisville Parkway extension on there (from Hwy 55 to Green Level Church Rd.).
The CFS bridge is the one over the railroad just east of Highway 55. That whole area with CFS, Morrisville Carpenter, and Indian Trail is a mess. Cary wants to connect Morrisville Carpenter straight through to CFS as a four-lane road with median. However, railroads basically get to set the terms for what crosses their tracks. So in order to convince CSX to allow them to build the new crossing at Morrisville Parkway and also a future crossing at Little Drive / O'Kelly Chapel Road, Cary agreed to close the railroad crossings at Carpenter Fire Station and Morrisville Carpenter and replace them with a bridge over the railroad.

One thing I'm not clear about is whether the bridge will go over highway 55 as well, or just over the railroad.

FYI an extension of Morrisville Parkway to Green Level Church (at a cost of $13 million) and its interchange at 540 was considered, along with a host of other widening projects such as:
  • Green Level Church from McCrimmon to O'Kelly Chapel (including fixing the jog) - $7 million
  • Cary Parkway from Evans to Harrison - $15 million
  • Two segments of NC54 that combine to stretch from Cary Parkway to Reedy Creek - $35 million
  • Ten Ten Road from Kildaire Farm to Holly Springs - $17 million
  • Penny Road from Kildare Farm to Loch Highlands - $2 million
  • Morrisville Carpenter from NC55 to Davis - $9 million

In any case I'm mostly excited about the greenway. The town's presentation materials say that for the "gap" between Macarthur and Davis, they will have to build tunnels under both the CSX railroad and Davis Drive. This means that I will have a complete dedicated trail for my commute. I won't have to ride on streets or stop my bike for stoplights anymore!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 PM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Sta...n+Material.pdf
The bridge is proposed over the CSX tracks. But, what would that look like, to bridge the tracks and not NC55?

From Page 24:

Carpenter Fire Station Bridge and Intersection Improvements (No Widening)
Description Project creates a new road segment aligning Carpenter Fire Station Road at the NC55 intersection with Morrisville Carpenter Road connecting in the vicinity of the Good Hope Baptist Church Cemetery. Improvements to the intersection with NC 55 and Carpenter Fire Station Road are anticipated. A bridge crossing the railroad is included. The Town has received a grant from CAMPO which requires Town match for the preliminary engineering and design of this project. The CAMPO grant is for $720,000 with a $180,000 local match. As a part of the municipal agreement, the Town must construct the facility within ten years. Justification This project will improve safety and capacity of NC 55 and Carpenter Fire Station Road and provide a grade-separated crossing of the CSX railroad tracks. The intersection of NC 55 and CFS is particularly congested and is frequent topic of citizen complaints. In addition, improvements to East-West roads are needed as development continues in the western part of Cary.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
I'd vote for any referendum that would put more public tennis courts west of HWY 55, preferably within biking distance of Green Level to Durham rd.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
More greenways! Excellent.

I'm rather glad they're not widening Cary Parkway.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
[*]Two segments of NC54 that combine to stretch from Cary Parkway to Reedy Creek - $35 million[*]Ten Ten Road from Kildaire Farm to Holly Springs - $17 million
I would have thought that these roads were state maintained. Perhaps this is just part of the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz;23582898[*
Penny Road from Kildare Farm to Loch Highlands - $2 million
So I guess it costs 2 million for a half mile of road? Wow!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I would have thought that these roads were state maintained. Perhaps this is just part of the cost?
From what I've seen over the years it seems like the state and whatever town the state roads run through kind of share responsibility for upkeep and expansion of said roads. Essentially if the town wants a road expanded that's owned by the state, they're better off just using their own cash and getting state approval than holding their breath on the state funding the project.

Quote:
So I guess it costs 2 million for a half mile of road? Wow!
I'm guessing it's that expensive because of eminent domain issues. Which is also probably why the idea has been tabled for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary