Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This 15 year old girl has her own bank account? I find that hard to believe. How about whoever actually owns the account cancels the debit card or puts a freeze on debit/credit transactions?
Right now it seems card usage is the only tool they have to track where she might be.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
This 15 year old girl has her own bank account? I find that hard to believe. How about whoever actually owns the account cancels the debit card or puts a freeze on debit/credit transactions?
Not sure why that's hard to believe. I had my own checking account when I was 14 so I could deposit my paychecks into it.

But aside from that, that's not the situation in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
Through the use of her mother's card
The girl ran off with her mother's debit card, which is a good thing since it gives the police an easy way to track her movements.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
She's been gone since Sunday - not really working. Cut off her access to the card and maybe she'll bail on the dude. Just a thought. Call me crazy but I doubt the police are working OT on this. OP hasn't been clear on who is doing the tracking.

At any rate - best of luck getting her back with the family.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
I do think it's weird they haven't issued an Amber Alert. That girl from Carteret that ran off with the neighbor down to Florida went willingly and they stilled called an Amber Alert for her.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Remember that state Amber Alert plans require a child be at risk for serious bodily harm or death before an alert can be issued. They expressly attempt to avoid overuse of alerts so as not to dilute their impact and the attention given to them.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Why is that hard to believe? My parents opened one for me at around that age and put some money in it and then made me financially responsible for purchases that were for me, myself, and I. It taught me financial responsibility and I could say more people / this country would be better off if people learned that before leaving home for college.

Anyways... back on topic...

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
My kids each had their own bank accounts by their 15th birthdays, not sure why this is a difficult concept for you to "believe"

The young lady is clearly an endangered runaway. I am glad the family has enlisted the help of law enforcement to bring her home before something bad happens to her.

I would also consider hiring a private investigator to locate her ASAP.

Prayers for her safety!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
My 17 year old had her own bank account at 15 and a card to go with it (as well as a job). It's a pre-loaded Visa card issued by our bank (not a cash/gift card). Works similar to a debit card tied to your bank account but you can't overdraft.
I too would think a 15 year old running off with a 22 year old no one knows would be considered "at risk". There was a case recently where a 15 year old was taken to Mexico by an older man she ran off with!
OP, I really hope you find her! Does she have a Facebook? I know several kids who have run away around here and local law enforcement have been able to crack it through Facebook, finding out who her friends are etc. Also, does she have a cell phone they can tracer? Or look through her text messages?
Most teens today leave a pretty huge electronic trail because they don't know any better.

Last edited by lamishra; 11-14-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM

128 posts, read 217,250 times
Great ideas with the Facebook and cell phone tracer lamishra! I pray she is found soon, safe and unharmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
My 17 year old had her own bank account at 15 and a card to go with it (as well as a job). It's a pre-loaded Visa card issued by our bank (not a cash/gift card). Works similar to a debit card tied to your bank account but you can't overdraft.
I too would think a 15 year old running off with a 22 year old no one knows would be considered "at risk". There was a case recently where a 15 year old was taken to Mexico by an older man she ran off with!
OP, I really hope you find her! Does she have a Facebook? I know several kids who have run away around here and local law enforcement have been able to crack it through Facebook, finding out who her friends are etc. Also, does she have a cell phone they can tracer? Or look through her text messages?
Most teens today leave a pretty huge electronic trail because they don't know any better.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default card

Keep the card active so that the trail can be kept since that is the only source of info now.

See if the bank can set an alert on the card so that when she tried to use it, somehow the merchant calls the cops while they "try to get the card working".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary