Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times

Advertisements

Is there anything like a real New Jersey Diner out here?

I ran into Honey's this weekend, and I was in Heaven with their eggs-and-potatoes plates but I need the meatloaf-white bread-gravy-fries and turkey-white bread-gravy-fries combos too, and they didn't have them.

One of the best meals I ever had in my life was in a New Jersey diner. A big plate of pork chops, more fresh mashed potatoes than you've ever seen in one place, and cooked fresh vegetables. The plate was so heavy, half of you couldn't have curled it. The place was up the road from Fountains of Wayne, I think (the original business that originated the name). Beer and wine license of course.

And of course the first thing you see when you come in is the big glass cabinet full of fancy baked cakes and pies for dessert. Actually the second thing you see. The first thing you see is the hostess, about 50 years old, looking like a pre-sissy-era Barbie and dressed in a form-fitting knit jumpsuit. She was a real-life Stupefyin' Jones.

But anyway, about that meatloaf?

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
I grew up in NJ. There is NOTHING equivalent in NC. You will get some reccomendations for diners, but none are like a Jersey Diner.
I love Elmos Diner in Durham, But I am under no illusions that its even close to a NJ diner.... It has meatloaf and open turkey ect, and its good.
But I ate just yesterday at the Whippany Diner in NJ....not even on the same page as a diner in NC

Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Yeah I agree. You need to go to NJ for a real NJ diner experience. Even in NJ the quality of diners spans a spectrum ... Not all of them are good. A few of my favorites up at the Jersey shore have closed in recent years. They are a dying breed.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM

270 posts, read 379,514 times
Nope, none around here. We stopped at one that had a really big menu somewhere in Virginia and have been trying to remember exactly where it was. My husband thinks it was near an IKEA...
I wish someone would open a NJ-type diner here. And a big plus if it was a Greek one!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM

13 posts, read 28,257 times
I know not local to the Triangle, but if you happen to be near Charlotte, there is an actual NJ Diner. The old Bound Brook Diner was moved to Charlotte and has opened as Mattie's Diner. My brother in law and his father are Bound Brook natives who relocated to the Charlotte area, and love this place. Not being a true NJ diner aficionado, I cannot really weigh in, but their word works for me.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Probably the closest you'll get in the Triangle is Gypsy's Shiny Diner in Cary on Buck Jones Rd - yes, they have meatloaf, both as an entree/blue plate special and as an open-faced sandwich.

Gypsy's Shiny Diner Menus

Also while not a classic diner style set-up, Hayes Barton Cafe and Dessertery in Raleigh's Five Points has some good diner style fare including their "Dial 'M' for Meatloaf" - also their cakes and pies are amazing.

http://www.hayesbartoncafe.com/dinner_web.pdf

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
The problem with Gypsy's Shiny Diner is that it's terrible lol. Every time I have gone there I have been disappointed. It should tell you something that they also run the restaurant at the State Farmers' Market. Not even close to a NJ diner.

If someone would open a Greek diner here that would be the ultimate Christmas gift for me

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The problem with Gypsy's Shiny Diner is that it's terrible lol. Every time I have gone there I have been disappointed. It should tell you something that they also run the restaurant at the State Farmers' Market. Not even close to a NJ diner.

If someone would open a Greek diner here that would be the ultimate Christmas gift for me
I've been to Gypsy's once or twice and I don't know if I'd call it terrible. I'd say it was solidly average, but granted it's been awhile back while I was still a grad student at State so things may have changed in the interim! Still, I'm not sure what their management of the Farmers' Market Restaurant has to do with the authenticness of Gypsy's - last I checked restauranteurs can have multiple concepts. Does the fact that Empire Eats runs The Pit, Gravy, Sitti, Raleigh Times, and Morning Times or Ashley Christensen running Poole's, Beasley's, Chuck's, and Fox make any of those concepts less delicious? Nonetheless, I defer to you on their current state seeing as how the quality of a restaurant can change so quickly! I do stand behind Hayes Barton though!

I'll definitely agree on a good Greek diner, though! I think the closest you'll get to that in the interim is the Gussy's Greek Street Food food truck.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I meant more that the food at the State Farmers' Market isn't particularly good or fresh, which should tell you about the state of Gypsy's.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I meant more that the food at the State Farmers' Market isn't particularly good or fresh, which should tell you about the state of Gypsy's.
Fair enough! I've just had breakfast at the Farmer's Market and that was just OK...better than, say, Big Ed's, but not the best I've ever had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary