Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,173 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking to move to the Brier Creek area in a couple of months and was looking for some insights. I visited the area a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I also visited some apartments (the ones I liked are below) and was wondering if anyone has information on what it's like to live there. Also, are there any other apartments in the area that are great that I should look into?

Colonial Grand
Waterstone
Crossings at Alexander Place
The Carrington

I also noticed that people often write about cockroaches as being an issue in apartment reviews. Is this a common problem in this area?

Finally, I'll be working from home when I move to the area and was wondering if anyone has advice on how to meet people in the area and generally how easy/difficult it is to meet people there.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 03:56 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,920,424 times
Cockroaches can be a problem in ANY apartment building. I don't think they will be any worse here than anywhere else, and likely better than many places.

We lived in Carrington at Brier Creek in 2012-2013 until our house was completed. Our only reasons for choosing it were that it was nearby BC Country Club where our house was being built, accepted short term leases and allowed dogs.

It's been years since we lived in apartments, so we're spoiled by SFR living. Even knowing that, I think management and the 'clientele' were pretty questionably. I understand that the management has changed.

I don't know anything about the other places. And I know people are gonna hate me for saying this, but if you don't have pets and don't intend to get a pet, I'd strongly suggest renting in a pet free community.

Welcome.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the response jkgourmet! I'm happy to hear that the cockroach issue wouldn't be any different than anywhere else! I'm guessing it's just a case of the people with gripes being the ones to post the reviews.

I have noticed (from reading reviews) that apartment management seems to change a lot and dramatically affect the quality of life. It can make it difficult to judge which complex is a quality place to live!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,838,447 times
I've a friend who lived in a BC apartment complex for over 6 years and they heard others complain of bugs, but saw maybe 2-3 per year and they live on the ground floor. So it's a toss of the dice if the unit was constructed tight enough to hold em out, or if it has cracks that let them in. This is probably universal.

If you are working from home, and use the Internet, then you should check with Google as a few (and ONLY a few apartment complexes have had Google Fiber installed. I have another friend who has had them for about a year and she says it's even better than she thought it would be. But know Google reduced where they would expand too, so check with them to be sure.

Regarding meeting people, I don't think there is much 'night life' in BC, beyond maybe Buffalo Wild Wings live music and similar, but the Triangle has a very large number of MeetUp groups, many of which are social. Check them out for things that interest you.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 AM

Ed gave you some good advice. I'll add a bit to his thoughts.

Re Googl I've no doubt that Ed is correct, but cant personally comment because ours isn't getting installed until wednesday (you fellow CD peeps are all jealous, now, arent you? ) That said, the only problems I've had with spectrum are customer service and pricing. The internet has been very reliable. We will genuinely miss Direct tv after the switch to Google.

I'm not sure of your age, but I sense you are single and under 30. Unless there is some geographical reason that you have chosen BC, I think there would be better choices to benefit your social life. ESPECIALLY if you work from home.

I love living in BC, but I'm retired and married. As far as places to meet others, I'm a little out of the loop but Carolina Ale House, Beer Garden, and Bar Louie are worth checking out. (I say this because we dislike all of them because we feel old as dirt when we visit them.). Meet up is active in the Triangle. If you are older than my guess, the list might change a bit.

When I was single, Happy Hour was prime 'huntjng ground' for other singles (plus a source of cheap drinks and dinner). I'm not sure where you are living now, but you should know that because of antiquated idiotic liquor laws, happy hour is essentially non existent in NC. (Compared to areas with normal, rational liquor laws.)

If we knew your age, interests and current residence - and areas that you've liked living AND why - we could give you more specific advice.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Thanks Ed and jkgourmet for your thoughts! I am concerned about the internet reliability since I'll need to VPN in for work. Google Fiber sounds great. Unfortunately, none of the apartments I looked at have it but I'll look into the ones that do.

A little about me - I'm 28 and moving to the area with my boyfriend from New Jersey. I'm okay with living somewhere where nightlife isn't huge as long as I have access to more exciting options if I want them even if it means I'll need to go downtown. For example, I love going to concets and comedy shows. I also enjoy running/working out, eating out and trying new restaurants, watching college basketball, reading and writing, and outdoor activities (swimming, walking/biking in the park, etc).

I'll definitely check out meetup - thanks for the tip!

Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,297,930 times
You don't need Google Fiber for reliable internet - any of the internet companies are fine. Most internet reliability issues occur within your house/building and have nothing to do with the company providing it. When there are actual provider issues, they're usually locally isolated.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K114 View Post
Thanks Ed and jkgourmet for your thoughts! I am concerned about the internet reliability since I'll need to VPN in for work. Google Fiber sounds great. Unfortunately, none of the apartments I looked at have it but I'll look into the ones that do.

A little about me - I'm 28 and moving to the area with my boyfriend from New Jersey. I'm okay with living somewhere where nightlife isn't huge as long as I have access to more exciting options if I want them even if it means I'll need to go downtown. For example, I love going to concets and comedy shows. I also enjoy running/working out, eating out and trying new restaurants, watching college basketball, reading and writing, and outdoor activities (swimming, walking/biking in the park, etc).

I'll definitely check out meetup - thanks for the tip!
With that information, then I will say that imho Brier Creek is GREAT place to start living in the Triangle. Primarily because it's dead center for downtown Durham, Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill. All of those will have the stuff you are looking for. I'll bet that after you're here for awhile you'll find yourself gravitating to another part of the area; but Brier Creek is perfect to explore the area. You may even find that you end up liking it enough to buy, and there's plenty of stuff to look at.

As said, Spectrum (previously TWC) has been TOTALLY reliable for their service and equipment. I wouldn't sweat that issue.

PS - does your boyfriend work at home as well? If not, where he is going to work should also be considered. Keep in mind - public transportation sucks.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,490,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Cockroaches can be a problem in ANY apartment building. I don't think they will be any worse here than anywhere else, and likely better than many.
Compared to the Other parts of the country, you will see more roaches. Especially when it rains. I don’t think I saw a single roach in an apartment or house I rented (and I’ve lived in some hovels) in all my time in the Midwest. I don’t see tons of them, but a few a year isn’t at all uncommon here. Especially if your moving into a vacant unit that has been vacant for any amount of time, at least at first. Visiting friends and family we always seem to see them in the guest closets, baths, anywhere that doesn’t get frequent traffic.

Again, not a huge problem per se, but seeing them once in a while, especially after moving in.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,484,628 times
The only really bad thing in BC is the overcrowding and traffic.

If you are not a sharp driver, you may soon see your insurance jump up from crashes.

Otherwise, BC is great if you work in RTP and can afford the high rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary