Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM

74 posts, read 140,095 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering whether there is easy access to some nice walking trails from downtown Durham, specifically from the Watts-Hospital Hillandale neighborhood. I saw that the West Ellerbe Creek Trail has about a half-mile segment near Indian Trail Park, but it seems that one can only walk about a half-mile northeast on this trail from Watts-Hospital Hillandale before running into a major road that the trail does not cross. Is this correct? What I'm really curious about is the quality of walking trails in Watts-Hospital Hillandale vs. those around Woodcroft. I know that Woodcroft has an extensive network of trails within the neighborhood. Are there other nice trails or greenways easily accessible from Watts-Hospital Hillandale? How about from Woodcroft, other than the in-neighborhood trails? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by SanMateoMom; 12-05-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMateoMom View Post
I have been wondering whether there is easy access to some nice walking trails from downtown Durham, specifically from the Watts-Hospital Hillandale neighborhood. I saw that the West Ellerbe Creek Trail has about a half-mile segment near Indian Trail Park, but it seems that one can only walk about a half-mile northeast on this trail from Watts-Hospital Hillandale before running into a major road that the trail does not cross. Is this correct? What I'm really curious about is the quality of walking trails in Watts-Hospital Hillandale vs. those around Woodcroft. I know that Woodcroft has an extensive network of trails within the neighborhood. Are there other nice trails or greenways easily accessible from Watts-Hospital Hillandale? How about from Woodcroft, other than the in-neighborhood trails? Thanks for any input.
The S. Ellerbe Creek trail is also quite nice -- it runs from near downtown up through Northgate Park and all the way to Horton Rd., though a big part from Stadium Dr. to Whipporwill Park is on widened/marked sidewalks. It's theoretically bikeable from the end of the W. Ellerbe Creek trail to the S. Ellerbe Creek trail but harder to walk -- eventually the City will make use of an I-85 culvert installed during road widening to connect the W. Ellerbe trail over to North Pointe shopping center and up to the greenway.

Of course there is also the American Tobacco Trail, but again you would have to get to the trailhead.

Central Durham and Woodcroft are both excellent destinations for folks looking for trail access. In Woodcroft of course the ATT is accessible via the in-neighborhood system, and there's the Third Fork Creek trail as well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary