Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 AM

23 posts, read 30,821 times

Advertisements

If you see all of this doom and gloom in the triangle's future and things are so much better elsewhere. Then, what is it that keeps you here in the triangle instead of moving elsewhere? Please note that I am telling you should move nor am I requesting that you move. I am just curious as to what interests you about the triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west raleigh sports guy View Post
If you see all of this doom and gloom in the triangle's future and things are so much better elsewhere. Then, what is it that keeps you here in the triangle instead of moving elsewhere? Please note that I am telling you should move nor am I requesting that you move. I am just curious as to what interests you about the triangle.
I live in town and really don't care about the Interstate issues for commuters. Our kids are long out of school so we're OK there.

Might consider an area with rail transit down the road since my eyesight really limits the opportunity to travel in this area.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Actually, NYC older housing is many times better built than our cheaply constructed flimsy wooden housing.

It's still old. Our house in NY was built in 1938; it was as sturdily built as you could ask for. However, the basement walls were starting to crumble; we startedto get water in our basement after 10 years in the house; the walls were plaster with no insulation till we renovated; no attic space; electric and plumbing not just outdated but not suited to today's technology (outlets that could only accept 2 prongs).

Not to mention, the infrastructure is crumbling up there. Sandy pointed that out pretty well.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
Hah yeah the place I lived in NY was awful. No insulation so your heating costs were insane in winter and the place never really felt warm. Something was always leaking or short circuiting. I don't miss it at all, especially considering what rent on the dump was.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Too bad the general assembly has already said no way, Jose, to impact fees.
Does anyone know why? Impact fees seems like a valid requirement to me.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Does anyone know why? Impact fees seems like a valid requirement to me.
Because they are tacitly not fair; do not catch all population or student migration to the area?

Because there are already local municipality impact fees in place?

Because impact fees are a "Shut the door behind me, tax that man behind the tree", feel good, vote buying plan?

All of the above?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Because they are tacitly not fair; do not catch all population or student migration to the area?

Because there are already local municipality impact fees in place?

Because impact fees are a "Shut the door behind me, tax that man behind the tree", feel good, vote buying plan?

All of the above?
Years ago, we could absorb a reasonable inflow of transplants without too much new infrastructure. The outgoing population was close to the incoming.

Now, the new people immediately create infrastructure needs.

That's why these people need to pay their way with impact fees.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Hah yeah the place I lived in NY was awful. No insulation so your heating costs were insane in winter and the place never really felt warm. Something was always leaking or short circuiting. I don't miss it at all, especially considering what rent on the dump was.
My middle income community, Stuyvesant Town, is still solid after almost 70 years. It has been rewired and windows were upgraded, but the bones are solid.

Even the closet doors were steel and no fire ever got beyond one room in one apartment.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Years ago, we could absorb a reasonable inflow of transplants without too much new infrastructure. The outgoing population was close to the incoming.

Now, the new people immediately create infrastructure needs.

That's why these people need to pay their way with impact fees.
So, you would charge a head tax on all in-migration, or just soak retirees as much as you can?

I put over $1100 in property tax into Wake County Schools last year. My home value is nearly dead average for Cary. Not upper middle, not a starter home.

The average in North Ridge Crossings was $308/unit, 244 units, $107,000 to Wake County, and 71% to WCPSS for Capital and Operation.

I don't mind paying for public schools and paying more than others, as I see a social benefit, for sure, but no one in their right mind could call it "fair" to soak some people many, many times over other people, and then to exclude renters and resale in-migrants from direct costs.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,117,818 times
I will likely vote for the school bonds because I know we need new schools at SOME point. However, I am still irritated that there are MANY schools in WCPSS that are seriously under-enrolled and under-utilized. We need to keep filling those schools up instead of letting everyone who moves here pick what school they want to attend, over-crowding some areas and under-utilizing others.
Let newcomers pick from a list of schools closest to them with open seats before throwing up new schools all over the suburbs.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-07-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary