Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM

826 posts, read 1,934,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Um, no, the Umstead Hotel and Spa is not set in Umstead Park! Umstead Park is across I-40.

It's set on the campus of SAS Institute (and the hotel is owned by the the founder of SAS).

I used to walk around the lake at lunch when I worked at SAS, long before the hotel was built.
Whoops! Of course you are right. I just think of that area as Umstead even though I know Jim Goodnight/SAS owns much of it. Feels like you are in the park though on that lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 PM

138 posts, read 154,523 times
Reviving this thread.

My sister and I want to have a girls' long weekend getaway within a 2-3 hour drive of Raleigh. We don't want a mountain location due to the fact that we are planning to go in early March and it's still too cold up there for our tastes. Thinking somewhere along the coast, if that's doable in a drive less than 3 hours. Want to shop, eat fine food, tour museums or historical sites, get a massage, facial or manicure, and walk along the beach or ride bikes. Think quiet, relaxing, rejuvenating experiences. Not into the bar scene or loud, noisy environments.

Would love something with 2 masters, each having its own bathroom, with a comfortable main living area to hang out and talk, watch tv. I think hotels are out because it would feel too cramped in the rooms. Maybe a vacation rental that's been recently renovated with updated finishes and features in a quiet location, yet maybe a short walk, bike ride, or Uber ride to dining, coffee shops, shopping, etc. Would love a kitchen for breakfast preparations, light snacking, etc., but we do not plan to do any real cooking ourselves. Taking a break from that.

Hoping somebody can steer us to a rental they'd recommend based on personal experience. Don't want to spend a fortune since we plan to be out a lot, and not interested in tired, heavily used rentals that are in sad need of updates. Budget would be max of three hundred per night. Just looking for a bit more softer, plusher experience to pamper ourselves a bit without spending too much on accommodations. This will be our first sisters getaway in more than fifteen years, so looking to make it a little special.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
you should be able to find something in Beaufort, and it's a bit under 3 hours. Try airbnb and look at the photos. But do understand that a large % of the residences in Beaufort were built 100+ years ago, and who's going to pimp out a 100-year old house when "shabby chic coastal" is the going style?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Beaufort is great, and I love it. Been there many times already with the hubs. You're right about those 100-year old houses...wouldn't want to ruin their charm and character!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Charleston, SC is 4 hours, but well worth the extra hour. Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC is closer and also meets your criteria. Suggest VRBO or Airbnb to find accommodations.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,211 times
Smile moms/girls getaway

We went to the Great wolf Lodge (in Concord, NC) and had a BLAST!! The girls (ages 4 and 12) each had fun things to do from AM until night and they even had "princess spa"" treatments there.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Love Charleston! It might be that we just take on the extra hour of driving. Going to look into both Charleston and Wilmington to investigate accommodations. If anyone knows of a particular property to check out in either place, would appreciate the referral ��

Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,257,177 times
Myrtle Beach has many oceanfront hotels with 2 BR condos with full living room and kitchen. Prices in March should be still reasonable.

Atlantic Breeze is awesome, they have 2-3 br rooms and indoor pool. Many restaurants within a short drive, I highly recommend the Thai one on Kings Hwy.

Same company owns Anderson Ocean Club that has a spa on site but it's $$$. Just make sure to avoid Camelot, which is not good.

Tons of things to do, even in bad weather. For a weekend I wouldn't bother dealing with private rentals, those can be way too much hussle.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:32 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,262,219 times
Southport, NC maybe? No recommendations on where to stay but the town has a charming business district with cutesy shops.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:09 PM

650 posts, read 931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Would anyone have recommendations for a good getaway for a group of 4-6 moms/BFFs for a night or weekend? Found a spa in the mountains that looked heavenly but was $$$. We are pretty low maintenance--just would like some kind of hotel suite/cabin where w cold escape from reality for a but and have fun..

We don't camp. At all. So rustic is ok as long as it has AC and bathrooms and such. Even a cute cabin near someplace like Boone near shopping ...

Ideas?
I highly recommend the Front Street Inn in Wilmington. Single house B and B within walking distant to the history water front. Plenty of food and shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary