Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave28 View Post
Ahh the grass is always greener! On paper, I am that "liberal northeastern intellectual." Ivy League grad school, lesbian, taught at an Ivy League. You know where I felt most at home in my travels? Wyoming and Montana! Reddest of red states! I just rec'd a job offer and am moving to Durham and can't wait. For the young man who is the OP, don't confuse the political proclivities of a state with the actual on-the-street way that people act. I live in a very blue state - Connecticut. I don't look one way or another as far as my being gay, so you can't tell. Long story but I live in a very homophobic, super wealthy town, and had a very homophobic, racist boss. He refused to hire a woman because she was african american. I reported him to the VP of the organization and he just shrugged. The snobbery here on the CT coast is oppressive. If you don't fit that mold right down to khaki pants and a polo shirt - you will never get ahead. I'm just saying this to point out that just because the politics of a state are one way, it doesn't make the living experience that way too. I can't wait to live in a state where a stranger might actual smile at you before checking your Mayflower pedigree!
That is quite interesting and well stated. For the record, I'm openly bisexual and currently in a same-sex relationship, and I've never had problems living here. Apparently Duke and UNC have agreed to completely ignore state statute and continue ensuring domestic partner benefits for their employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree with previous comments on how Raleigh isn't as conservative as the rest of the state and I don't want to equate conservative with non intellectual or progressive as intellectual.
I would agree on both points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree with previous comments on how Raleigh isn't as conservative as the rest of the state and I don't want to equate conservative with non intellectual or progressive as intellectual.

But if you want to have stimulating conversations, it helps that people are open to new ideas, weigh evidence... Those folks can and do live everywhere. I know two who live in Florida (teach at FSU).

Austin is great if you want to hang out at bars with live music and have long, silly conversations over several beers. I suspect the level of discourse has fallen considerably since Molly Ivens passed on to her reward.
One nice thing about the Triangle is that it really is a fairly diverse place politically. I've lived in both the northeast and southeast and found that this area is neither as conservative nor as liberal as other places. In the Triangle, you've got people from all over the country, and to some extent the world, moving here. They bring all kinds of different views to the area. Around here, I've found some hyper-conservatives, some hyper-liberals, and many more that fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
Avoid. Thats my advice. I am miserable and trying to get out. I understand. Just AVOID. period.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM

76 posts, read 130,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You might look into Chapel Hill, Durham, or Charlottesville. When I lived in the South, there were two kinds of transplants: those who accepted Southern culture for what it is, and those who spent their time complaining about the perceived ignorance, backwardness, or whatever. You could recognize them by the company they kept: other unhappy transplants.

You're not going to remake a place with a long history and rich culture so it meets your expectations. And you will tend to find what you expect: if you think the South is backward, that's what you'll see. Frankly, the South has no monopoly on bigotry and ignorance ... Plenty of both to go around in "sophisticated" cities like Chicago, Boston, or NYC.

Unless you want to be one of those posting here about how you can't wait to get out of the South and why do y'all do stupid things like X, you might be happier further North. The South isn't for everyone ... But neither is life in a Northern city or university town. If you do decide to move South, your best bet will be a secular university town. Life's too short to be miserable.
I agree!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
This place is not for people with your perspective IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary