Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM

107 posts, read 166,942 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to the Triangle for her to attend grad school at UNC Chapel Hill. We're getting married in June before we head up. We are trying to figure out where to live and we are kind of picky about a few things:

-We don't want our lives to be too "college-y." We are moving from Gainesville, FL, where apartment is college living and everything revolves around the Gators. We've been here for 8 years. We're sick of it.
-We don't want to be in a "bad" area or a rundown area. We want our apartment to look nice outside and inside, and we don't want to be scared going to our car at night.
-We'd like a 3/2 or a 2/2 with some kind of bonus room. I have an ebay business that may very well become full time once we move there (depending on if I can find a job) and I need an office space to do that.
-We don't want to be too far away from anything. Obviously she needs to be able to get to school, but her classes will only be twice a week, all day, and she's willing to drive up to 30 minutes each way to get there. I have no idea where I'll be working (or what I'll be doing) so we'd like to have relatively easy access to RTP, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc. in case I need to commute as well. We also don't want to be too far away (15 minutes, maybe) from shopping, movies, restaurants, etc.
-Our budget is between $1200-1300 a month with all water, utilities, internet included.

We had been looking at Cary, but it seems like finding a good 3 bedroom there in that price range is going to be a little tough. We have also been looking at Morrisville. Would Morrisville fit the bill of our desires that I listed above? What other cities should we look at?

We will be up there this weekend - staying with a family friend in Morrisville - but we have never been there before so we're going into it kind of blind. We really need to decide on and find a place this weekend so any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
My fiance and I are moving to the Triangle for her to attend grad school at UNC Chapel Hill.
...her classes will only be twice a week, all day,
...she's willing to drive up to 30 minutes each way to get there.

We are trying to figure out where to live and we are kind of picky...
I have no idea where I'll be working (or what I'll be doing)...
Then it's too soon to be too specific about where to live.
Get the job first.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Well, like I said, we need to find a place this weekend. We don't have the money to go up again, we are getting married in June and need to move up by the 1st of August. And, like I said, we don't mind driving to/from work, and again, like I said, the ebay business from home may be my full time job.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
Well, like I said, we need to find a place this weekend.
No you don't.
You may *want* to... but I assure you that you don't need to.

Quote:
...we are getting married in June and need to move up by the 1st of August.
And in August if you still don't have jobs lined up? Then what?

Besides all of that... do you expect to find a specific place in January that will meet your
degree of pickiness and still have it available come August?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM

43,348 posts, read 77,209,038 times
You are looking for up to a $1000 rental.
That is a very difficult neighborhood for renting here.

Will a townhome work for you?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM

Yes, a townhome would work.

Also if anyone is interested in PMing me anything I'm open to that. Appreciate all the feedback.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No you don't.

Besides all of that... do you expect to find a specific place in January that will meet your
Why are you being antagonistic toward the OP? This is especially perplexing to me since you are from the Triad and not the Triangle.

To answer the OP's question, here's my 2 cents.
If you think you must find a place to live this weekend without knowing where you might or might not work in the greater Triangle area, Morrisville is not a bad choice. It's as nearly central as you can be in the Triangle and would afford a reasonable commute to Chapel Hill for your wife twice a week while not limiting you to any particular market for a future job. That said, there are some things to consider:
1. Airplane noise. Much of Morrisville is in the direct flight path of RDU International. Pay particular attention to specific locations in Morrisville if you are bothered by airplanes. RDU isn't ATL or MIA by any stretch but the air traffic isn't inconsequential.
2. Consider how long it will take to get to I-40 from your apartment. As Morrisville grows rapidly, the traffic on side streets can significantly contribute to commute times.
3. Morrisville is going to be a very suburban existence. I don't know if you will perceive that as good or bad but I wanted you to know.
Along with Morrisville, you can consider the Brier Creek area of NW Raleigh and Southpoint area of Durham. Both of these areas are less central than Morrisville but would be on my list if I were navigating your particular situation. Southpoint will be more convenient for Chapel Hill but could be challenging if you found work in parts of Raleigh and Brier Creek could add a bit of time to your wife's commute but it might no be a big deal since she's only going to be making it twice a week.
Good luck!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks! The airport is definitely something to consider. I'll ask my family friend to point out the areas that may be noisy.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Morrisville is as convenient as Cary.

Your price range is rather low for a 3br.

If you could figure out how to make a 2br work until you're more certain of your finances, I think you'll be happier with what you can afford.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,264,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No you don't.

You are ASSUMING that the OP "needs" a job. Maybe he is a millionaire!

He didn't ask for advice on what he should do so maybe we could assume less and help him by answering his questions.

OP...I think the Morrisville/West Cary area would work for you and your fiance since it would be an easy drive for her and central enough that if you do get a job, you won't be too far from any of the other areas.

I'd also check out the North Raleigh area, around Glenwood Avenue, close to 540, for the same reasons that I just mentioned.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary