Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,737,481 times

Advertisements

The Kroger in Fuquay has the gas and for every $100 spent on groceries (which ya need anyway) you get 10 cents off the gallon. PLUS on the rewards program you get $5.00 back on every 500 pts. Ok its not a ton of money but over a year this adds up and your 500 points aren't very hard to get.. its not about the dollars. You get more point for Kroger items and you get special bonus points just for buying a certain item. I like Kroger and think if you shop wisely you'll do ok. I will see better deals at Super Walmart too but they don't double coupons like Kroger does and sometimes I get a better deal in the end at Kroger. I think Lowes is much higher priced as well as HT. I won't do a FL.. its gross.

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM

331 posts, read 1,127,046 times
Harris Teeter. End of discussion.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
While in college, I worked part-time with the local NC Cooperative Extension Service. I remember they did a store by store cost comparative analysis. I remember Harris Teeter being the most expensive and Food Lion being the least. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'm sure you could call your local extension service (part of the county gov't) and ask. I mostly shop Food Lion, but do go into Harris Teeter for certain items.. and if I feel like a splurge! The customer service is much better there (at HT) - I guess you get what you pay for.

Just an example on price - Food Lion usually has Crystal Lite drink mixes priced at 2 for $5. I was at HT today and noticed that the same product was $4.49 for one. And the gallon bottles of Ocean Spray cranberry juice cost around $4.20 at Food Lion. They're closer to $7 at HT. I would say that most non-store brand products are a good 40% higher at HT compared to Food Lion. I do love the HT stores, but can't always afford to shop them!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookednc View Post
Just an example on price - Food Lion usually has Crystal Lite drink mixes priced at 2 for $5. I was at HT today and noticed that the same product was $4.49 for one.
Crystal Lite has to be one of the biggest ripoffs around! I go to Walmart and buy their generic for around $1.19 or so. I go every month or so and stock up.

I'm not sure I know why you bumped a thread that's more than a year old to say that Food Lion is cheaper than HT. I think everyone knows that! I really dislike shopping at Food Lion though - the one by my house is dingy, and the service is bad. I'll go there in a pinch, or if I know they have a really good sale on something like Lean Cuisines. Other than that I shop the sales at HT and Lowes with HT being my hands down favorite.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Default Kroger vs HT

I am new to the area and finally found a Kroger. There are only 2 in Cary.
The one I went to was large, well lit, clean, and less expensive than Harris Teeter.
Plus, they had a whole two aisles of health foods, way more than the tiny section I found at HT.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRoni View Post
The one I went to was large, well lit, clean, and less expensive than Harris Teeter.
Plus, they had a whole two aisles of health foods, way more than the tiny section I found at HT.
Well, Kroger is definitely less expensive than HT, but it's my 3rd favorite grocery store (above only Food Lion). I try to get in and out as quickly as possible - for some reason I just dislike shopping there (and I don't find it overly clean).

Old 10-11-2009, 12:48 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRoni View Post
The one I went to was large, well lit, clean, and less expensive than Harris Teeter. Plus, they had a whole two aisles of health foods, way more than the tiny section I found at HT.
Was it Kroger in Apex (Lake Pine/64)? That one is cleaner than the one on Maynard. The natural foods section is great there! More gluten free foods than HT and organic milk is on sale a lot.

I like HT and Kroger equally. So I can't say either or. I go to both. My favorite HT is Kildaire Farm/Tryon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary