Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM

397 posts, read 805,563 times

Advertisements

I'd be more concerned about finding a GREAT agent.

A buyers commision is what....2.4%?

Why worry about that? Be concerend with getting an agent who's got your best interest and knows the game.

I've dealt with cheap agents before, and while I got a deal done, they were lacking in solid advise and just seemed to go as the wind blew them.

You can spend $3 to get $2.50 back, so it's all relative.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM

257 posts, read 491,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
I also wonder about the future of real estate profession ... how to justify the same price for vastly different levels of service. Eg. client A does 0 research, and expects to be chauferred between properties - and has no idea of what they are looking for.

Client b know exactly what they are looking for and invests many hours in doing off line research - maybe only communicating 1 email / week with the RE.

Client B requires < 5 hours total time via email - and buys a $500k house. Client A requires 80+ hours of weekends/evenings - and ends up buying a $200k house after insisting on being shown the same houses as client A.

I think most reasonable people conclude somebody over paid and somebody under paid for services rendered. Suspect there are reasons why many legal services are either hourly - or a flat rate for a specific service.

Now i will wait patiently for the RE's on the board to patiently explain how i have it all wrong

- Peter
I fit Client B profile as an out-of-state buyer. While i know that our home purchase was an "easy sell" for our realtor, I also know that I'm paying for her local market expertise. This is something she's earned and acquired through years of real estate in the local market. I'm paying her for her knowledge and advice, not necessarily to show me houses and help me figure what I want. She's earning her commission by answering my long list of questions before, during, and probably after the sale is completed.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
:clap :clap :clap

though let's remember - nobody's asking you to pay us for the work we've done over the years, as if we DESERVE more from you because of a simple number of years sticking it out. Years is relevant in that you've seen FIRST-HAND what has happened over those years to houses, neighborhoods, and the paperwork we're required to use.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
Legal zoom is a complete disaster....I know as I've dealt with them!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
I also wonder about the future of real estate profession ... how to justify the same price for vastly different levels of service. Eg. client A does 0 research, and expects to be chauferred between properties - and has no idea of what they are looking for.

Client b know exactly what they are looking for and invests many hours in doing off line research - maybe only communicating 1 email / week with the RE.

Client B requires < 5 hours total time via email - and buys a $500k house. Client A requires 80+ hours of weekends/evenings - and ends up buying a $200k house after insisting on being shown the same houses as client A.

I think most reasonable people conclude somebody over paid and somebody under paid for services rendered. Suspect there are reasons why many legal services are either hourly - or a flat rate for a specific service.

Now i will wait patiently for the RE's on the board to patiently explain how i have it all wrong

- Peter
if you as a professional deal with type A, then you've been compensated fairly. If you professionally represent B then you've been compensated fairly.

now the difference is not the price range. It's finding, executing, and meeting reasonable expectations.

The internet is an AWESOME thing. it's made it clear - what the Buyer gets is REPRESENTATION in a complex and multi-faceted, ever-changing transaction that is critically important financially, and which most engage in 3-5 times in their life.

Unless I am at my desk, constantly refreshing the database, then every Buyer has the opportunity to see what is available NOW as quickly as I do. As I tell all of my clients now - it's more likely that you will IDENTIFY the house you want to buy than I will.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Thanks! But...I'll pass! I prefer to take my kids to a real doctor, with experience!

And I did pay a real attorney for wills, last year. I didn't even think about asking him to gimme some of his income! What WAS I thinking?

Ok...say what you will and do what you want.

MY opinion is that when I need a professional, I'll hire one and I will happily pay for his expertise because "I" don't know everything about health or the law. For those of you that want to find a Realtor that will give you some of his/her income back...go for it. But...ask how long that agent has been in business because you pay for experience. And usually, it is that experience that negotiates for you and that experience that steps in to help you when there is a problem with the home inspection or the builder! Best of luck to you!

Vicki

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 126,260 times
pretty disappointed in responses posted.

Fact is - pretty much every profession charges based on experience AND time required. Equating 5 hours versus 80 hours of time seems like fantasy land to me.

does a doctor/mechanic/accountant/real estate agent with 20 years of experience merit a higher rate then someone with 2 - absolutely. Same for an established office versus a new one. But that rate should be multiplied by effort required. And no way should a 2 year person have the same expertise and pay rate as a 20 year vetern. Many times the higher rate is actually a cost savings because the experienced pro will require many fewer billable hours.

It is this basic concept that RE will undoubtably need to come to grips with. Perhaps I am misinterpretting - but the tone of the responses seem to indicate that the special powers and training of RE goes beyond that of every other profession. I absolutely do not doubt the value of a good RE. But i am very skeptical of the compensation package being based on a fixed rate of the sale - versus years of experience and effort required.

Consider me somewhat skeptical

Last edited by Peter.; 01-28-2013 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM

you're disappointed we didn't disagree more vehemently with what you posted?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Stick to the original topic, folks. If you want to debate RE pay, do it on the Real Estate board.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM

75 posts, read 126,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're disappointed we didn't disagree more vehemently with what you posted?
more disappointed with the lack of an articulated response explaining how RE rates are a size fits all regardless of the experience of the service provider or effort required by that individual.

More clear now? The fact that you are in the profession and not able to discern this kinda makes my point for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary