Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
Watch WRAL.....it's a train wreck.
Heck yeah. WRAL is absolutely horrible compared to WTVD. I read a local ratings page a few weeks ago showing WTVD has been ahead and is slowly pulling away from WRAL in the local news ratings. Plus, WTVD has the finest ladies working for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Today's N&O has the following headline on the front page:

Biracial daughter of Strom Thurman dies

[Its "Thurmond"]

Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Today's N&O has the following headline on the front page:

Biracial daughter of Strom Thurman dies

[Its "Thurmond"]
At least they didn't refer to him as "Storm Thurmond," an amusing typo I once saw in a magazine many years ago.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM

528 posts, read 935,458 times
I much prefer WTVD over WRAL but I've also noticed the # of typos and the slang or less formal language that is used...like when they talk about the "perps" or "bad guys." It's only a matter of time before we start hearing OMG on the news.

OMG! That's gonna make me crazy!

I really enjoy the morning show. Don Schwenneker was a great addition. On other news broadcasts I don't necessarily enjoy too much personal commentary or silliness by the anchors but I enjoy it with this group. John Clark delivers some good one liners! The broadcast has evolved over the years....Am I the only one who remembers the old promo spot where Barbara Gibbs used to tout the show as having "none of the silly" stuff (can't remember her exact words)).

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
This is a bit off topic, but there is an entertainment show that rebranded itself and now has a name that starts with 'OMG!' - granted, it is an entertainment news show....

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
I would watch WTVD news more if their VHF signal wasn't so crappy compared to the UHF signal the rest of the channels use. After a while, I just get sick of moving the rabbit ears around and give up. I'm really glad they never have the Super Bowl.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Funny WTVD comes in great for me on the bunny ears but I can't get NBC at all. Guess it depends where you are.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I can't stand it when they editorialize. I find myself yelling, "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK! JUST TELL ME THE NEWS!!!" at the TV. I don't need them to tell me, "This is terrible..." or especially the cliche about someone being in the "wrong place at the wrong time." Usually, the victim was in the right place; their attacker was committing a crime. It's as if they're blaming the victim. I just want to know the facts.

I don't remember Barbara Gibbs saying anything about not having silly stuff. I wish they'd go back to that policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I much prefer WTVD over WRAL but I've also noticed the # of typos and the slang or less formal language that is used...like when they talk about the "perps" or "bad guys." It's only a matter of time before we start hearing OMG on the news.

OMG! That's gonna make me crazy!

I really enjoy the morning show. Don Schwenneker was a great addition. On other news broadcasts I don't necessarily enjoy too much personal commentary or silliness by the anchors but I enjoy it with this group. John Clark delivers some good one liners! The broadcast has evolved over the years....Am I the only one who remembers the old promo spot where Barbara Gibbs used to tout the show as having "none of the silly" stuff (can't remember her exact words)).

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post

I really enjoy the morning show. Don Schwenneker was a great addition.
Eh, he has grown on me but he's still no Glenn Willey. Glenn was awesome.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Funny WTVD comes in great for me on the bunny ears but I can't get NBC at all. Guess it depends where you are.
In Durham, we are 30-31 miles from the main cluster of broadcast towers for NBC/ABC/FOX/CBS, which is basically at the limit of what a good indoor antenna should have to tune. Since VHF is weaker than UHF, it's a major hassle for us.

IIRC from your posts, you're in Wake County, which is substantially closer to the broadcast antennas than Durham. Really, there's really no reason for you to be missing NBC there. WUNC is another direction, but NBC is right next to the rest of them. My coworker who lives in Holly Springs pulls in everything with one of those DIY antennas on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary