Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM

171 posts, read 319,014 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

I'm new to the board and my family and I are beginning our home search in Cary (we're currently in Chatham County). Our hopes are to be settled in a home before the 2013-2014 school year begins. We have two children, one who will entering 2nd grade and the other will be starting Kindergarten. We are most interested in the neighborhoods districted to Weatherstone Elementary and possibly Morrisville Elementary but want to make sure we aren't closing ourselves off to other possible neighborhoods.

So, my question has to do with the capping of Davis Drive Elementary and Green Hope Elementary. I've read that these are two of the schools in Cary that will be capped when they hit capacity (which is very soon from what I understand). We are not overly concerned with our kids having to go to these schools. Rather, our question (for planning purposes) is whether there is a way to find out what the "overflow" school choices would be in the event of caps being placed on these schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Davis Drive is absolutely capped for this year - even if kids leave they are not taking new ones. I don't know the answer to your question but if you are interested in DDE for this year, it's not an option. No one knows about next year though.

For overflow school, probably depends where you live. I'm in a DDE base neighborhood and we have kids at Salem, Laurel Park and Carpenter (all year round).

Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM

49 posts, read 85,409 times
Default On a side note...

How can you tell which schools are capped? I went to WCPSS.com and don't see anything in the assignment section that tells you. Also is it the whole school that is capped or uncapped or only certain grades in a school that might be capped (like it was last year in the choice program)? Thanks...

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
there are no schools capped so far for next year.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Here are some slides from a couple weeks ago talking about the capped schools for this year.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Here are some slides from a couple weeks ago talking about the capped schools for this year.
Thank you so much - this is so helpful . Does this mean that they won't be making calls on caps again until the "20th Day" enrollment figures are in? In other words, anyone moving into the district between now and school starting for the 2013-2014 school year would be okay and not have to worry about being capped out?

To answer an earlier question...I originally got the info on the twelve schools on the "Cap List" from News & Observer but after sending my message this morning I did more research and found the same list in the new school assignment plan. It is for the current school year but I can only assume the list of possible candidates will remain the same unless there's a huge drop in enrollment at any one school.

Briarcliff ES
Brooks ES
Cedar Fork ES
Conn ES
Davis Drive ES
Green Hope ES
Lacy ES
Mills Park ES
Underwood ES
Wildwood Forest ES
Wiley ES
Heritage MS

Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
You never know what's going to happen - a lot of people may want to go back to their base school because of transportation issues, calendar issues, sibling issues - whatever. Let's say you have a 3rd grader at one of the capped schools but it's not your base school and now you have a rising kindergartener - you may choose to go back to your base school because I don't think the sibling definitely gets into the school you chose for this year (that's now capped).

Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusandthekids View Post
Hi All -

I'm new to the board and my family and I are beginning our home search in Cary (we're currently in Chatham County). Our hopes are to be settled in a home before the 2013-2014 school year begins. We have two children, one who will entering 2nd grade and the other will be starting Kindergarten. We are most interested in the neighborhoods districted to Weatherstone Elementary and possibly Morrisville Elementary but want to make sure we aren't closing ourselves off to other possible neighborhoods.

So, my question has to do with the capping of Davis Drive Elementary and Green Hope Elementary. I've read that these are two of the schools in Cary that will be capped when they hit capacity (which is very soon from what I understand). We are not overly concerned with our kids having to go to these schools. Rather, our question (for planning purposes) is whether there is a way to find out what the "overflow" school choices would be in the event of caps being placed on these schools.

Thank you!
when you say "these schools" (and having read the thread to this point also) do you mean DDE and GHE? Assuming so...

No schools are capped for next year yet, but they're working through the numbers as we speak, and over the next several months. They will tell you they EXPECT to allow all base students to attend, and I do believe they're going to do everything possible for it to happen, but as an example ...

DDE is hard capped, and is taking no new students this year.
GHE is not hard capped.

DDE's "hard cap" number is 970. If 970 kids get enrolled by:

1. advancing a grade (current students)
2. by having a new K sibling
3. by transfers because of choice (ie if you bought in DDE nodes but were "choiced" elsewhere)
4. by enrolling and living in the base area BEFORE you...

then folks are not getting in DDE.

DDE overflow schools are: Carpenter, Morrisville, Weatherstone. If a family moves and enrolls "now" (remainder of school year need) then the family gets to choose any of the 3.

GHE overflow schools would be: Alston Ridge, Carpenter, Weatherstone.

Morrisville Elementary is at capacity, so UNLESS you're also in the BASE zone for Morrisville, they say they're not promising you anything NOW or for 2013. For next year, Morrisville has a smaller 5th grade class this year, so that's not opening up any spots for next year.

Weatherstone has plenty of capacity, so it shouldn't be any issue. Alston Ridge has some, Carpenter has plenty.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
when you say "these schools" (and having read the thread to this point also) do you mean DDE and GHE? Assuming so...

No schools are capped for next year yet, but they're working through the numbers as we speak, and over the next several months. They will tell you they EXPECT to allow all base students to attend, and I do believe they're going to do everything possible for it to happen, but as an example ...

DDE is hard capped, and is taking no new students this year.
GHE is not hard capped.

DDE's "hard cap" number is 970. If 970 kids get enrolled by:

1. advancing a grade (current students)
2. by having a new K sibling
3. by transfers because of choice (ie if you bought in DDE nodes but were "choiced" elsewhere)
4. by enrolling and living in the base area BEFORE you...

then folks are not getting in DDE.

DDE overflow schools are: Carpenter, Morrisville, Weatherstone. If a family moves and enrolls "now" (remainder of school year need) then the family gets to choose any of the 3.

GHE overflow schools would be: Alston Ridge, Carpenter, Weatherstone.

Morrisville Elementary is at capacity, so UNLESS you're also in the BASE zone for Morrisville, they say they're not promising you anything NOW or for 2013. For next year, Morrisville has a smaller 5th grade class this year, so that's not opening up any spots for next year.

Weatherstone has plenty of capacity, so it shouldn't be any issue. Alston Ridge has some, Carpenter has plenty.
Thank you, thank you, thank you - this info is more helpful than you know! I had no idea about Morrisville ES's situation so this is very good info to have. We are moving forward with our home search full throttle regardless of the school issues but I just wanted to have as much info as possible to make the decision best for us and our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary