Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
devil's advocate here - you're OK if your son is moved to the next new school?
I am. There's a rumor that when a new HS is built we will be sent there (instead of Green Hope, so it's not like we're trying to get out of a terrible school) and my friends and I are all OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Your school taxes have been on the rise because of the ridiculous salaries and pensions and benefits being paid to administrators and teachers, and the way-too-many layers of administration on top of that. Those benefits are guaranteed by state constitution. You are aware that on Long Island, 2/3 of your taxes are school taxes, and 2/3 of your school taxes goes to salaries and pensions???

If we pass the bond down here, it won't go to such things. It will go to building. Vicki's comment made me laugh because my kids went to a pre-WWII built school in NY and yes, everything was original in the building because there is no money left over for any upgrades. A 30 year old school is modern by Long Island's standards. Let's not let it get to that point here.

Another solution is to make new arrivals pay more taxes, but I'm sure you don't want to see that. I didn't when we moved here from LI 2.5 years ago.

The money for this building has to come from somewhere. We are not at a point where we only need one or two schools. The board of ed down here is not close to perfect, but it's different from LI's good ole boy network where they are in bed with the incestuous school systems and just "yes man" everything the superintendent wants. But in all fairness the school boards in NY have no control over salary step increases and pensions and benefits that are controlled by the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Excuse me. As a New Yorker who is now making plans to move to Cary let me tell you something. Everybody wants good schools. I used to think as you did but up here the school boards abused the trust we placed in them. The current taxes on my home in a middle class suburb of Nassau County, Long Island are 13,500 per year. The school tax bite of that is 8,000 a year. Our district has 2 elementary schools built 1929 and 1936. 1 Jr. High built 1942 and 1 High School built 1957. People in this area can also send their kids to Parocial private schools at extra cost. My strong sugestion is that each school be a seperate voted on referendum. How much for the total package of new school "A". Once you have a price then raise the money for it. Do not give the school board the power to make debt or float-sell bonds. Once they have that power they will keep spending and spending and raising taxes without regard to your ability to pay. Remember 1 school at a time. raise the money, build it, and don't be liable for bond interest for the next 40yrs. cadillac811

Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
devil's advocate here - you're OK if your son is moved to the next new school?
As long as it's near my house, but I actually chose a house very physically close to the school I wanted my kids to go to.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
All I can say is that I feel the money will be squandered on poorly located, poorly constructed buildings constructed by "friends" of the wastrel board.

Folks, don't expect anything good from this board of losers.

Now, if a responsible government agency (oxymoron) could handle the money, taxpayers may get something. The present crew will likely produce new buildings with issues worse than our old schools.

The money will be wasted if not stolen by the bigoted, useless WCPSS board. Do not entrust our money to them.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
All I can say is that I feel the money will be squandered on poorly located, poorly constructed buildings constructed by "friends" of the wastrel board.

Folks, don't expect anything good from this board of losers.

Now, if a responsible government agency (oxymoron) could handle the money, taxpayers may get something. The present crew will likely produce new buildings with issues worse than our old schools.

The money will be wasted if not stolen by the bigoted, useless WCPSS board. Do not entrust our money to them.
Shoot your Impact Fee check over to them...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Shoot your Impact Fee check over to them...

Impact fees would have prevented this waste of money on debt service.

Why should developers impose needs on all taxpayers to cover the load development puts on infrastructure?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Impact fees would have prevented this waste of money on debt service.

Why should developers impose needs on all taxpayers to cover the load development puts on infrastructure?
It's not too late for you to donate, if you really believe in paying for your impact.

A bond driven by growth IS an impact fee, as newcomers help amortize the debt.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
As long as it's near my house, but I actually chose a house very physically close to the school I wanted my kids to go to.
the next nearest? Within 1 mile? 3 miles?

I am very much a pro-neighborhood school, don't bus for diversity, guy. I think it's perfectly reasonable that if your neighborhood has gone to school for 40 years, they don't reassign your neighborhood. I think if you live in a reasonable-sized neighborhood where the number of houses x 2 kids/house is less than the school with the neighborhood name on it - you don't get reassigned.

As to the statement of whomever chose to originally answer my question - not all real estate agents hate choice. What I hate is uncertainty. The certainty that you'll be reassigned within the next 3 years is not uncertainty. "Move here, pick an address, and THEN we'll tell you where you can go" - that's uncertainty.

Wake schools are NOT "a mess".

The process of assignment may very well be a mess, but the schools themselves are not.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
I hate uncertainty too. We all do. I felt like, though, with the choice plan, you had one year of uncertainty then you had a feeder pattern. Now that we are back to base schools, I have a rising kindergartener and I know we will face uncertainty over and over and over for the next 13 years. I feel like having a base is great for newcomers but not necessarily everyone else. It also greatly favors those who can afford to buy their way into the school they want...while those in poorer neighborhoods and areas can't get out of their base. With the choice plan they at least had a shot. Please forgive my choppy writing .. On my phone..

Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
folks from "poorer neighborhoods" had a far greater chance of landing in a great school under diversity than they did under choice.

6 of the currently hard-capped (no more kids in 2012-2013) are in/serve the ITB area and North Hills (Brooks Elementary). 2 of those schools - Conn ES & Hunter ES - lie east of Capital Blvd annd serve a "poorer" neighborhood as their base. It's because they're magnet schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary