Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbliss View Post
What is a yearly auto tax bill? Sorry, i m new here from CA....
Basically the same thing as the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) bill you paid every year in California when you renewed your registration - it's a tax paid on the basis of the car's value. The current system here in NC has you pay your license/registration fee to the state DMV when you get your title and tag, and then a separate tax to your county of residence a few months later. We'll be switching to a combined collection process later this year, though, so when you renew your tag next year, you'll pay the tax at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 AM

15 posts, read 31,335 times
We just did 3 cars....$553 total bill for title transfer and registrations. We forgot to include the highway tax in our calculations before we went. Now we'll wait for the Orange County tax bill.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbliss View Post
What is a yearly auto tax bill? Sorry, i m new here from CA....

Barli...was the test hard? Any advice, I'll take it....i havent taken a driving test in almost 30 years....

DMV License test: Cheat Sheet

I just got my NC license, and the test was a piece of cake. Read this a few times and you're fine. The person helping you gives you an eye test, and gives you a few road signs to identify. Read the pamphlet they give you when you walk in for the signs.

I need to get my plates this week. 99% of the plates I see are the standard ones, so I might go for something a little different. I like the Blue Ridge Parkway plate and it looks like it's only $10 more.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM

17 posts, read 30,864 times
When you got your registration, did you have to go in during the week? Or are there any DMVs that are open on the weekend? I can't seem to find time to get to the DMV to do my registration!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
They just started, LAST WEEK. Good timing!
DMV to offer Saturday hours :: WRAL.com

Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
They just started, LAST WEEK. Good timing!
DMV to offer Saturday hours :: WRAL.com
Unfortunately, that's just for driver's license offices. Vehicle registration is handled by contractor-operated license plate agency offices, and I'm not aware of any of those that are open on Saturday, at least in the Triangle area.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
I completely forgot about that being just a driver license office. I really hate they break those up into different offices. Many people looking for one also need the other!

Last edited by RedZin; 03-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post

I completely forgot about that being just a driver license office. I really hate they break those up into different offices. Many people looking for one also need the other!
When I was at the DMV they mentioned they would soon be handling plates and registration. Not sure when, it's what one of their employees said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary