Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times

Advertisements

I'll echo Rockinmomma's assessment of OCS. In my experience in and out of the schools, I find that all of the schools in the OCS have caring, dedicated teachers. There has been historically very little turnover at any of the schools As a matter of fact, one teacher at Grady Brown just celebrated 25 years at THAT one school. She is now beginning to teach 2nd gens! I have been quite impressed with the school and staff at CW Stanford and Gravelly Hills. Stanford is the oldest of the 3 middle schools, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The staff is great and they have a very strong math program. If your children are interested in music, I'd look at Stanback. Gravelly, the newest of the 3 middle schools, and is a bit "out there" but am impressed with the school. Grady Brown, New Hope, Cameron Park and Hillsborough Elementary are all super elementary schools with strong parent involvement and supportive staff. High School may be a bit too far off for you to look at now, and things can change over the years but both Orange High and Cedar Ridge boast strong programs. They have very different and unique cultures at each school, so it really depends on what your kids will be interested in when they get to that point. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Oh...to address some of your other specific questions. Haven't heard about any gang activity, and there is very little in the Hillsborough area (it is sort of the "haven"). Drug and alcohol activity can be found in virtually any school system, but will say there is less evidence of chronic issues/problems based on suspension data. There was the incident at Stanback which was mentioned, and it was addressed. Based on youth risk behaviors surveys and social norms survey at the high schools, the majority of high school students do not use substances. Again, based on my observations in and out of the middle and high schools, I have not seen any evidence of racism or violence. Bullying is a nationwide epidemic and I believe the OCS is being diligent in addressing any such issues. Teen pregnancy unfortunately seems to be higher than we'd like to see, but I haven't looked at the data to compare with other school districts.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Could anyone comment specifically on Hillsborough schools from personal experience? I am also interested in the Orange County school district and living in Hillsborough. I know that Chapel Hill is "the best", but really would like to hear about other school districts in order to make a well-informed decision.

I like the 1:1 computer program, IB, AP, and EIE (which my 2nd grader loves here in Seattle, by the way), but what is the personal/subjective experience like in attending these schools? Are kids happy to be there, are families involved? Do the middle and high schools have a problem with drugs, alcohol, gang activity, drop-outs, teen pregnancies, racism, or violence? The type of community I place my kids into is WAY more important to me than overall test scores or the percentage of high achievers. I am searching for a friendly community with few social issues, character-building (not religious), and happy kids.
My daughter goes to the year-round Hillsborough Elementary and we have been happy with it. HES is an opt-in school, and admission is by lottery from those who apply. They try to keep 20% of the slots for kids from each of the 5 base schools. As a result of this, it is harder to get in if you are zoned for Central or Efland-Cheeks because those schools have lower scores and more parents zoned there apply for HES, so you have more competition. My understanding is that if you are zoned for one of the other 3 schools, it is easy to get into HES because fewer apply from those schools. We are zoned for Efland, which I think probably has a worse reputation than it deserves due to past performance. The folks in my neighborhood who go there seem to be happy with the school and feel that it has turned around and improved a lot. I toured both schools and felt like Efland would have been fine, but I got a really good vibe from HES. They felt really enthusiastic and intentional about what they were doing, and I also prefer the year-round calendar. There is a lot of parental involvement at the school, which is partly self-selecting because of the lack of bus transportation. The PTA is currently raising funds to build a new playground at the school.

There is also a new charter school set to open in Hillsborough next school year, called The Expedition School, and it will also be on a year-round schedule. They plan to have a STEM focus. While I am perfectly happy at HES and have not thought to leave, I will also be interested to find out more about this new school too.

The Expedition School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary