Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
They have a good mix of stores but I still wish it were more pedestrian friendly. Was at the movies and felt silly but with all the parking lots etc had to get in he car to drive to Chili's for dinner.

A little planning and it could have been a nice, walkable area -- and you'd think the store owners would agree b/c if you could stroll you'd be more likely to 'pop in' and spend money lol.

You are probably thinking of Park West Village, at the intersection of Cary Parkway and 54. And the original plan was much more walkable with more mixed use buildings and density. But, NIMBYs freaked out and caused them to delay approval and then they cut back the plans to appease them. then the downturn hit and they had to cut it back even more due to the economy and lending restrictions. It is a real missed opportunity.

The section close to the theater will turn out OK I think, but most of the center could have been more like that. I will say that my wife and I often will go up there on a weekend night when the weather is nicer and walk from the theater area to Target or Chilis/Travinia rather than drive. Its really not that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 AM

171 posts, read 319,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifan12 View Post
From the Kite Realty website:

Parkside Town Commons is a mixed-use shopping center anchored by Frank Theatres, Target, Harris Teeter, Field & Stream, and Golf Galaxy. Phase I opened in 2014 and Phase II is well underway. Field and Stream and Golf Galaxy are now open. Frank Theatres featuring 11 screens and 16 lanes of bowling will open spring 2015 and other shops opening upon completion including favorites IT’SUGAR, Toby Keith’s I Love this Bar, Chuy’s Mexican Restaurant, Panera Bread, Embassy Nails, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Menchie’s Yogurt, Chick-fil-A, Bank of America, Brixx Wood Fired Pizza, Sport Clips, Verizon Wireless, Nishiki Sushi Bar, Smallcakes Cupcakery and Noodles & Company.

Parkside Town Commons | Portfolio | Kite Realty
FWIW - the Chuy's Raleigh Facebook page says they hope to open the Cary location in July.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM

122 posts, read 151,513 times
I saw a Starbucks also I believe!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM

173 posts, read 313,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, really nothing new to add. They really seem to have hit a wall with leasing. I'm still wondering why they had all the various people listed months ago and nothing ever panned out.
I suspect this is because Cary will not allow them to continue beyond a certain point until the O'Kelly railroad crossing is completed. From what I remember, Cary placed restrictions on both allowing planning/construction for some lots as well as issuing certificates of occupancy for other completed lots.

There's a good table on pages 3 and 4 of this document that shows the restrictions: http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...aff+Report.pdf

The rest of it is a good read as well because it outlines the uncertainty surrounding that crossing. It sounds like CSX is holding up the project because they don't even have a binding agreement in place regarding the crossing. Personally, I don't quite see why opening another crossing on that rail line is a big deal - it gets 1-2 trains a day at most going about 10 MPH.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Signs are up for Five Guys, Brixx (opening in April), Noodles and Panera's.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
I suspect this is because Cary will not allow them to continue beyond a certain point until the O'Kelly railroad crossing is completed. From what I remember, Cary placed restrictions on both allowing planning/construction for some lots as well as issuing certificates of occupancy for other completed lots.

There's a good table on pages 3 and 4 of this document that shows the restrictions: http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...aff+Report.pdf

The rest of it is a good read as well because it outlines the uncertainty surrounding that crossing. It sounds like CSX is holding up the project because they don't even have a binding agreement in place regarding the crossing. Personally, I don't quite see why opening another crossing on that rail line is a big deal - it gets 1-2 trains a day at most going about 10 MPH.
The CSX line is in a 100' right of way which is not limited to the current utilization. At one point it was mentioned as a potential route for high speed rail.
CSX for years has allowed new crossings, at their own pace, and when they were able to close 3 crossings in exchange for the new one.

TOC told me once 5 years ago that they had been waiting over a year for a reply from CSX acknowledging a request to open conversation regarding construction of a footbridge over the track.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
So I drove around the newer section this evening. The Sports Clips is open although the staff looked bored. It's all the way toward the apartments and seems to be the only store open in that area. The Verizon store looks done as well (appears to be open). Five Guys is very close to being open as I saw a training taking place with new employees. The Starbucks looks about done as well. The drive-thru for the Starbucks circles around the Verizon store. Reminds me of the one located on Page Road near Mez. I couldn't really see in the Brixx as I drove by but the sign is up. I didn't see a Panera sign, but I did see help wanted ad in front of the future site. It will be a standalone location.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
So I drove around the newer section this evening. The Sports Clips is open although the staff looked bored. It's all the way toward the apartments and seems to be the only store open in that area. The Verizon store looks done as well (appears to be open). Five Guys is very close to being open as I saw a training taking place with new employees. The Starbucks looks about done as well. The drive-thru for the Starbucks circles around the Verizon store. Reminds me of the one located on Page Road near Mez. I couldn't really see in the Brixx as I drove by but the sign is up. I didn't see a Panera sign, but I did see help wanted ad in front of the future site. It will be a standalone location.
How's Franks coming along? The last time I was down that way,it seemed to be coming along nicely. Any word on Stony River Steaks or I Love This Bar?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Noodles is supposed to open either the 28th or 29th

Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
How's Franks coming along? The last time I was down that way,it seemed to be coming along nicely. Any word on Stony River Steaks or I Love This Bar?
Honestly I drove around at night so I couldn't see as clearly as I wanted to. I didn't see any signs but I could have easily missed it due to the lack of light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary